Documentary about shawarma in Ottawa [Food/Vendor]

2015 Oct 7
Abit of a teaser from CBC: www.cbc.ca

According to metro it is on youtube: www.metronews.ca

2015 Oct 8
I watched the whole thing a couple days ago....yes I have "too much time on my hands".
Doc was ok, more like he went on a wild goose chase trying to find Mr. Maroush who had the shawarma place where there was always tons of people after the bars close.

A lot of the film is the guy making phone calls and driving to addresses people tell him without looking them up online and he ends up at a vet clinic,some random places.
He does ask a couple people who own shawarma shops why they think it is popular and The Garlic King "I can do anything" is in it.

The guy who made the film, he has a cottage, so you see him drive there.
There is a lake at his cottage.
He asks some regular people why they like shawarma and the answer is who doesn't.

The guy also lives in an appartement,so he makes phone calls from there. You can see his phone ringing and it is on speakerphone.
He did not reach Maroush.

Not really sure this should even be on CBC,he missed interviewing what I would think are a bunch way better people.
There is a bunch of Lebanese and middle eastern food places on Bank st that have been there 20+ years and nothing on that???

-Does anyone remember Euro Star? that used to be a 24 hour place on Elgin years ago and they had some Lebanese food. It was run by 2 sisters "Joanie" and another lady who wore all these different hats.
Those two ladies live on my friend's street and would have been so good in the film-they are nice and really funny.

Also focuses just on "lebanese" people and not other similar countries.
Would have been better if he actually had info about shawarma and also what else do Lebanese people eat???

I guess maybe I could redo his cell phone movie for him....LOL.

2015 Oct 8
Seeing those scenes brought back great memories for me! After 2am the place was always WILD. People dancing on tables, singing and the Maroush theme song playing on repeat. I even ate an entire bazooka shawarma once, still regret it many years later. Girls could get free shawarma from taking their tops off and he'd take their picture, so I imagine the owner took a pic the wrong person's wife or daughter and doesn't want people to know where he is.

2015 Oct 8
I have vivid memory gaps related to that place.

I thought Mr Maroush had passed away a few years ago, but that may have been an urban legend.

2015 Oct 8
I loved Marroush so much that I ate there sober. Is his place in Hull as good?