Singles night at WHOLE FOODS ! Tue Sept 29 what do you think? [Events]

2015 Sep 28
I found out earlier that on Tuesday Sept 29 from 7-9pm there will be a singles night event at Whole Foods.

Apparently you are supposed to go to customer service to get a ribbon to put on your shopping cart (I never use a cart there....).
There is also supposed to be some food and drink samples (usually tasty).

What do you people think of this event?
I'm single,so I will go just for fun-but I have a feeling the event will mostly be women.

I have not really had any guys try to talk to me at Whole Foods, the closest there would be when I bought a huge bowl of nachos and was taking the bus- guys and also gals kept on asking me where I got them as they looked very tasty!

I've had guys talk to me all the time at the regular grocery store and Nicastros.

So is anyone from here planning to go?

2015 Sep 28
I just HAVE to comment on this ... BUT I am not single and a bit off topic ...
We were at Wholefood (aka whole paycheck) last night after the 67's hockey game as my son had to use the bathroom ... My husband spotted the posting about this and we were amused. Have to wonder if 'Ashley Madison' type people might go for this - ha-ha- ...

We were kind of hoping there would be some sort of game show/comedy entertainment sort of thing happening. Could be kind of fun like the stuff they do when they poke fun at couples (the newlywed or the dating game, etc.)

Even more off topic, what's with all the yoga mats? Seemed like a class had just ended - heard there was something going on at parliament hill yesterday with yoga.

Anyways, we did take some food from the hot bar, the curry cabbage, channa massala, butter chicken and rice. Not cheap, like $15 for a very large 'soup' container type serving. We 3 shared with pizza, daughter wouldn't touch it ...

Very interesting culture going on at that place, a bit change from the old landsdowne, still don't know what to make of it all ...

Let me know if anyone goes to this. Not sure how many people would actually pick up the ribbon and actually initiate conversation with each other.

Please do report back ...

2015 Sep 28
flexie re: your comment about Ashley Madison - I was wondering the same thing and I am single ;) I dunno I think the whole concept is a little creepy and don't plan on going. (Although if you meet someone in a grocery store at least you will know if your potential mate has the same culinary interests;)

As for the yoga mats I think there are yoga classes at Lansdowne Park once or twice a week. I seem to remember seeing flyers at Whole Foods and a couple of other spots at Lansdowne and I "think" they are part of some city run activities there. I find the vibe at Lansdowne in general is even more hipster compared to the rest of the Glebe. But that's just my two cents...

2015 Sep 28
There was "full moon" yoga last night at Landsdowne.

2015 Sep 28
You'd think they'd keep their yoga pants on ...

2015 Sep 29
I do think that the new Lansdowne now how they rebuilt it, seems more "hipster" and kind of reminds me of the US big box store complexes- but we have a park and more greenery.

There was a Yoga event at Lansdowne- they do something for the full moon that is a free event outdoors.
I was actually at whole foods Sun at 6:30 and was wondering why so many people had yoga mats,and then remembered I wanted to check this event out and forgot.

There might be another full moon yoga event next month,not too sure.

I also had the Whole Foods store event schedule and they have a yoga class Tues am at their store. Not sure how that works,but I will try and check it out sometime.
-I do not really do much yoga,usually I do more dance classes,skate,bike.

I'm not really sure how this Whole Foods event will go,but I do buy a couple items there every week and have not really had any "strangers" or shoppers talk to me too much.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a big bowl of nachos (great deal for $8,can't make them that cheaply for what I put on them).
And a couple behind me on the escalator asked me where in the store I found those (told them it was from the taco counter).

Then on the bus and downtown a couple more people were asking me about these nachos..it was quite odd.

I've had guys talk to me at so many of the other stores I get food from- but never at whole foods. Maybe I'm an approachable person.

I'm kind of expecting that this event will have more women than men or that people will go just for the food samples.
I've gone to a couple of food sampling events at their store and usually the samples have been pretty generous.

2015 Sep 29
'hipster'...?

....it's all the young guys with the beards, isn't it?

2015 Sep 29
I think vegans want their friends, and partners, to be vegan too.

2015 Sep 29
They're like the Borg that way.

2015 Sep 29
Haha,

I was just trying to figure out what "hipster" is and so far for women mostly I was joking with a friend that it is women who do yoga and drink pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks,who wear Lulu lemon pants and Uggs, with a Canada Goose jacket and Coach or other brand name bag.
Also must eat kale,does not eat at McD.

For guys hmmm- only listens to music on records,has a beard and maybe a bun in his hair or some other hairstyle. Does yoga and??

I'm really not too sure what a hipster is supposed to look like. Can't think of too many more stereotypes to add in.

2015 Sep 29
Prettytastyreviews- For women, what you described is what is reffered to as a "Basic B*tch", not a hipster.

A female hipster is more likely to wear baggier, large thick brimmed glasses, a toque/wide brimmed had, blunstone boots and a plaid shirt rolled up to show off a sleeve tattoo. You pretty much nailed the male equivalent of a hipster :)

2015 Sep 29
It is impossible to describe a hipster as the hipster is ever evolving. They come in many shapes and forms.

There is the stereotypical image that exists when discussing hipsters but by now that form is long gone and, to date, would be considered a mainstream product of past hipster ideologies.

What TheNatureMan describes above is the mainstream version of the hipsters of yesteryear.

The irony is that while hipsters claim to be pioneers in specific trends, they simply regurgitate progressions of past popularity.

For this reason a true hipster may never be identified. What you are looking at is a consequence of hipster past. Much like looking at the light from the sun; in the 8 minutes it takes for the rays to travel to your retina, the compulsion has already changed.

/satire

2015 Sep 29
Oh-those girls who wear big glasses and bright lipstick...gotcha!

I think I was talking to some hipster guy at the bus stop earlier- the description sounds about right.

Ok, so I did go to the Whole Foods singles event.
Was not expecting too much as the weather is crap.

There was a table at customer service where you could register to know about more store events and they had some sparkling apple juices (very tasty),also some strawberries dipped in chocolate,cookies and coconut macaroons.
You also got a ribbon to tie to your shopping cart.

I heard a couple of women say that it was mostly women at the store and not too many guys.
Kind of expected that.

There was also 2 tasty cheeses to try in the cheese section-one was a French goat cheese with herbs and peppercorns on top (expensive too :), the other a Brie- also French and really good.

Wasn't approached by any guys,but kind of expected that.

Bought a cheese ball and some watermellon radishes-have not seen those in another grocery store.