All You Can Eat (AYCE) Hot Pot at the Yangtze [General]

2007 Dec 2
The Yangtze,Yangtze, have a special on:

www.yangtze.ca/special.htm

I called them for the price and they say it's $15.95 per person (2 people min.) and $17.95 per person for the seafood option (which allows beef ,chicken, lamb etc. as well).

It's so cold out now, Hot Pot sounds soooo good. And you get to have the 'soup' at the end.

Has anyone tried this deal ? or the Hot Pot at The Yangtze ?

2007 Dec 2
For those of you who don't know too much about Hot Pot, here is some background:

Hot pot is the Chinese version of fondue (Japanese call it "shabu"). While the hot pot is steaming, ingridents (e.g., sliced meat, leafy vegetables, shrimps, noodles, tofu, meat balls, or whatever you like) are placed into the pot and are cooked at the table. The cooked food is usually eaten with a dipping sauce. In a winter time, hot pot is good since it makes your body warm.

People in Taiwan like to use very spicy soup base for hot pot. The sensation to your tongue is wonderful.

Please be warned that several health studies do not recommend to drink the soup from the hot pot (because of salt level produced from cooking all the ingredients together?).

It is very easy to have hot pot at home. Just go to New 168 market (New 168 Market ) or Kowloon market (Kowloon Market) and pick up those sliced frozen beef and meat balls, tofu. You can use Campbell's chicken broth mixed with water to begin.

Please refer to my previous posting on hot pot. www.ottawafoodies.com

2007 Dec 2
It really is easy to do at home and it can be very healthy. My wife and I have been known to devour an entire head of Napa cabbage with this meal. Ashley, I like your idea of skewering your prawns individually to allow good control over the cooking time!

We have little mesh strainers that we use to grab any stray bits that could be missed by chopsticks (like cabbage). Since the pot has two sections, we often make one side spicy and the other more plain.

Normally, we use the leftover broth (add noodles to make a good soup). I don't understand why drinking it would be a bad thing the way we do it. I guess there are two approaches:

1. Make the broth super salty so the boiled meats taste really good, or
2. Make the broth "soup level" salty and then dip the meats in chili garlic sauce to wake them up a bit.

We do #2, so the broth is quite drinkable. This is probably why the Napa cabbage works so well with it.