Salad nutritionally overrated? [Science]

2015 Aug 28
Interesting article that gets a lot right in suggesting that lettuce is a wasteful crop as it is so nutritionally sparse that we probably shouldn't bother growing, transporting, storing, and eating it.

www.washingtonpost.com

Of course not all salads are nutritionally useless -- just those containing a lot of lettuce, cucumber, radish, or celery. And even those can introduce much-needed fiber into the diets of those who otherwise eat mainly processed foods!

2015 Aug 30
So, should everyone just start eating kale and wearing ugg boots (while shopping at whole foods......"omg, kale, kale?? must have kale".

Sorry, just was in that part of the city and the amount of people wearing Looloolemon and walking around with kale smoothies is a lot today.

I really came here to write that kale and spinach have pretty much the same nutrition-but kale costs 3x more right now as it is the in thing.

2015 Aug 30
I for one am sick of the kale thing. I grew up eating it as it was a common dish that the Dutch people ate. I loved it. I still do but now it seems it is in so many things it can IMO ruin certain things. I mean, kale is good for you but you won't see me buying Farm Boy's latest kale thing, which are hamburger patties made with - you guessed it - kale! I mean really, kale mixed in with your burger?

2015 Aug 30
What? You don't even like Boerenkool Stamppot?

C'mon! Boerenkool Stamppot!

2015 Aug 31
I never liked kale. Bok choy is almost as nutrient dense, and you can make kimchee out of it easily.

2015 Aug 31
I like Kale, in it's place. I grew up eating sauteed or steamed kale/chard etc. But it has its place and it is not in guacamole or the 100's of other ways it gets added to dishes.

2015 Aug 31
I thought about this post . . .

man needs fiber in his diet and that is nutritionally empty too.

Spices like chillies are probably nutritionally void too, but where would some of the best dishes in the world be without them ?

I happen to like the crunch of celery.

Lettuce, per se, I could probably live without.

2015 Sep 1
Kale is popular because it's nutritious *and* can taste really good if prepared correctly. I'd put collards and snow pea shoots in the same category.

It's always a little sad when hidden gems become trendy and expensive. :)

2015 Sep 1
Francis, chiles have loads of nutritional benefits. They're often very high in potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C (a fresh 50g green chile delivers more than twice as much vitamin C as a medium orange), and studies have shown that capsaicin may be beneficial in reducing blood pressure. Drying the chiles cuts down the nutritional payload considerably, but not entirely.

2015 Sep 1
Love collards.

2015 Sep 1
Spinach,kale and a lot of those green leaves- the nutrition is almost the same.

I like spinach and dishes with cooked spinach, or whatever greens are on sale.
I can't eat spinach raw without getting sick a few hours later,can not seem to digest it. Tried all kinds,organic,locally grown,same for kale...

I tried the kale guacamole and it is ok,I prefer reg with chopped tomato in it.

People should really take some time to look up the nutrition info from agriculture Canada and the US version.
They have all the nutrition info for raw and cooked vegetables by portion, 100 gram or other measures.

I've spoken to a lot of dieticians and nutritionists (and even a couple who work at the Ottawa hospital) and some of the info they give out was not correct.
I was surprized about that,was only told that "it is what they were told to give out and they did not question the content).

After that experience all I can say, is listen to what other people have to say....then do your own actual research.

For most nutrition related things people say or what I hear I do not bother to correct people,just not worth the bother...

Not saying everyone who is a dietician is terrible, one lady I know who did a sports nutrition workshop her info was great,too bad not that much of it could be applied to me.
But it is really good and I still have her printouts on my shelf...somewhere.z
Now,I wish I remembered this lady's name...

2015 Sep 2
I think the author needs to distinguish between different types of lettuce. Not all lettuces are made equal. So many chain restaurants in the US (and elsewhere?) use I would iceberg lettuce, not much nutritional value in it but I would think the same couldn't be said for other lettuce like romain. As long as you are not eating 'Andy Boy' romain hearts (which I have to admit to buying very often for the convenience factor).