cheese "sale" [Food/Vendor]

2015 Aug 5
I'm assuming this is happening at all Loblaw's stores right now. There was an end cooler display filled with boxes of Cracker Barrel cheeses. They were marked on sale, about $2 off each.

The problem, as I see it (and you can as well from the picture) is that there are 2 different sizes: 400g and 450g. I'm assuming that they're getting rid of all current stock so that they can switch over to the 400g size at the same price. This same exact thing happened a while ago when they switched from the 500g to 450g.

It gives the impression that you are buying the same product because the price is the same and the package is almost identical in length, but it isn't quite as wide.

I remember this also happening with the barrels of cashews. They used to be 1kg, but are now 900g. Same price ...

2015 Aug 5
A lot of stuff is like that now. I drank Salada tea for all of my considerably long life. A few months back I had purchased a new box and couldn't figure out why it didn't taste the way it used to. I had a couple of bags left from the previous box so I weighed the old and the new. The new ones were 10% lighter. I was so po I switched to Tetley.

2015 Aug 5
Tetley has done the same thing...still 72 bags in the box but each individual bag is smaller. We buy loose tea and brew it to our liking.

2015 Aug 5
In the late 80s they were 1kg and went to 900g ... been slowly reducing them since.

2015 Aug 6
The medium cheddar is reduced-fat, isn't it? I think that's what the green-on-white stripe indicates (as opposed to all green). I believe cracker barrel is the same - reduced-fat cheese is a smaller brick so therefore more expensive per gram. Makes sense to me if it costs more to make. Edit: They're also frequently discounted by more than $2, so I wouldn't read into it.