World's first hypoallergenic cat cafe [General]

2015 Jul 24
They are open, and they have a dog patio too (you bring your own dog).

metronews.ca

We talked about this for coffee shops a while back . . .

2015 Jul 24
Lol... Love it! Did that start in Japan? I'm more a dog and bunny person but that kitty is super cute:)

2015 Jul 25
Yes I think it started in Japan. Why not incorporate animals into the restaurant environment? It reconnects us to the natural world.

I'm a dog person too. :-) Fish I find relaxing. Seeing and hearing birds makes me happy.

Restaurants are supposed to be sterile, so animals are banished. Fish are sometimes seen, because they are contained.

I suppose reptiles are the next step. :-) What about an alligator cafe ?

I'm intrigued by where the trend can go.

I haven't been to the cat cafe yet, but I'll go.

I think we should encourage businesses that try new things.

2015 Jul 27
Just to be clear, the cats consider it a hypoallergenic human cafe.

2015 Jul 27
We were there last week. It is called the Siberian Cat Cafe. There are adults and kittens and there are rules......no picking them up, no petting them if they are sleeping, plus a few more. All sensible I suppose but dang, they were all asleep while we were there save one guy who came to when we were leaving so we were able to give them a pat or two. I think there are about 7 of them and the kittens are VERY cute. They are all long-haired and look like fluff balls. I wanted to take one home with me.

2015 Jul 27
Siberians are an interesting breed, very large cats (20 lbs + ), yet quite athletic. My daughter went and she said the adult cats were quite large and yes the kittens are very cute. The patio is large and nice and every table has a leash for your dog (if you bring one). My son went and he said you can pet the cats, but you have to wash your hands first ?

2015 Jul 28
Francis, yes, you do have to wash your hands first. Thanks for posting the clip. I watched the one on the Siberian and car lover that I am, I will be watching the rest of them. Too bad Siberians cost around $1000.

2015 Jul 30
Cat yoga ? nymag.com

2015 Sep 6

2015 Oct 8
So many rules . . .

I'm puzzled by the "no kids" rule though . . .

www.en.cafechatsiberien.com

2015 Oct 8
Most of the rules are…or should be…obvious though. Don't pull their tail(!), don't disturb them when they're sleeping, no sudden loud noises, don't feed them…that's pretty basic stuff but you never know dealing with the public. No picking them up was the only rule that I thought was non-obvious but in my experience it's something that some cats like and others don't.

As for the kids, I see further down the page it says that the cats like kids, and that parents should provide instruction on how to behave. So, perhaps they had bad experiences and had to change the rules…don't know.

Love the election signs though.

2015 Oct 9
So ... it's basically Canadians with cats drinking coffee.

2015 Nov 11
Apparently the "no kids under 12" rule is only for certain times. They have extra staff to supervise the kids and cats on Saturdays and Sundays (12pm - 5pm).

Saw this on FB (owner responding to someone who was turned away twice):

"Just a quick explanation... the reason is not because we are waiting for our staff at noon. But for the safety of all: kids and cats, we need a time frame. Those rules applies only in the Cat Salon, we also have over than 30 places to seat on our heated patio and in our bistro area."

. . .

"At this point is not important to repeat again why kid are not allowed outside specific period (Sat.& Sunday 12-5pm) but I can't understand why you came twice knowing the rules. Our rules have nothing to see with the market large or small, there are there for the safety of everyone. You can visit Disney World with your kid and pay a full prce ticket if the attractions is not safe for the kid ( not enough tall) there is no way to ride it. Cat Café is a different kind of businness a come with diffrent rules and safety is the first priority. We prefer making a little less money and make sure everyone is safe and happy including cat and kid. That beeing said we also love Les Saisons and really appreciate Cindi this is were we discover good coffee, more than 10 years ago!"