surströmming? [Food/Vendor]

2007 Nov 22
Does anyone know if it is possible to find surströmming anywhere in Ottawa? It is a Swedish delicacy. Google does not turn anything up as far as I can tell for a Swedish or Nordic groceries in town that might carry it.

I have e-mailed the Nordic Society but have not yet received a response.

2007 Nov 27
I've not seen it, but I'll be on the lookout now. I gather Ikea doesn't sell it?

There's been some controversy about it recently too, hasn't there...

news.bbc.co.uk

2007 Nov 27
I should try and contact the Swedish Surstromming Academy mentioned in that article, since they are trying to promote it internationaly. thanks ;-)

A lady from the nordic society said she passed my request on to other members, but I have not heard back yet from them.

2007 Nov 27
Ha, ha, I just heard back from my wife's Swedish friend and she claims that most Swedes find this stuff disgusting and it's not a delicacy at all :-) But she also said that it's fermented so now my interest is definitely piqued! Do let us know if you find it!

2007 Nov 27
Yes, I've heard. I am willing to try everything however. I'm a food adventurist :-)

I checked out the "academy", they do ship internationaly, but the shipping costs are not cheap. Maybe if a few courages people want to split on an order with me and spread out the shipping costs? :-)

www.surstromming.se

2007 Nov 27
Wikipedia says :

Controversy

In April 2006, several major airlines (such as Air France and British Airways) banned the fish citing that the pressurized cans of fish are potentially explosive. The sale of the fish was subsequently discontinued in Stockholm's international airport. Those who produce the fish have called the airline's decision "culturally illiterate," claiming that it is a "myth that the tinned fish can explode.

2007 Nov 27
If you can find an old family recipe amongst that society let me know - because I'll eat anything and am especially excited about the idea of making and eating fermented fish! I love all manner of Germanic and Slavic Pickled Herring, so I'd imagine I'd love this stuff!

2007 Nov 27
On closer inspection, the academy is all sold out too. I'll report back if the local Nordic society is able to help in any way.

I don't imagine it tastes much like the pickled herring found in local markets though :-) I'm picturing rotten fish.

Have you had asian style fermented fish? I haven't looked if the local asian markets carry any (I just moved here a couple months ago) but I imagine they do.

2011 Oct 5
Reviving a 4 year old thread. I still have not found surstromming and I doubt I will find any company that ships here.

I've just e-mailed an old friend from Sweden to see about having a tin shipped over. When I asked him years ago he said it would be about $50 USD for the 3kg canned surstromming (3kg!!), almost all shipping costs, the fish itself is cheap.

*IF* he is still willing to ship it, does anyone want to chip in for a portion? I'm happy to pay upfront to ensure it gets here, but there is no way I will eat 3kg of it and it's not something you want hanging around after opening, so would need to be a meet up *out doors* where we won't offend anyone.

Any adventurists?

Hopefully not setting up for disappointment as I'm still waiting to hear back, though he was willing previously.

2011 Oct 5
If I were employed, I'd be in for 1/3. But unfortunately I am not

2011 Oct 5
how much if i just want to smell?

2011 Oct 5
My friend (who I only talk to once every few years) replied and is certainly willing to see what he can do. He's worried that it's not approved for export and doesn't want any issues on his end.

I e-mailed the folks at www.surstromming.se too.

I'm going to find some one way or another.

2011 Oct 5
Make your own? ;) www.ehow.com

2012 Feb 19
GUYS! GUYS!

I found found an online Swedish food vendor who is willing to ship surströmming to Canada. I'll quote their simple reply "Hi Peter. Yes, we do ship surströmming to Canada."

It looks like it's going to cost me about $80 for a few tins (almost all shipping costs), and no idea what happens at customs so maybe more, though I have not finalized my order yet.

2012 Feb 19
So can you give an idea how much we'd get for how much money?

2012 Feb 19
Tins are 300 grams each. I'll probably order 2 or 3 (or if adding 1 or 2 on top of that does not increase shipping cost much, then I will do that)

I'll buy on my own dime and *if* they actually arrive then I'll have more information as far as pricing if any adventure foodies want in.

Nobody needs to commit now or ever if they want to try but rest assured I'll update this thread if I end up with some in my hands, and I'll set up a tasting in a safe outdoor place!

EDIT: 3x 300 gram tins ordered, $83 including shipping (going over a kilo increases shipping by a lot) and this does not include any customs snags/extras I may run in to

2012 May 6
Hey guys, I haven't been on here in a while and probably won't be due to time issues, and I won't be able to do a foodie tasting for everyone.

I'll describe quickly my experience below, as well as offer 2x 300gram Oskars cans for sale if anyone adventure foodies care to buy them. $30 each OBO (which is a loss to me after price + shipping + duty which came out to about $110 for 3 cans) - contact me if interested.

---

My experience: I prepared ahead of time, had lots of plastic bags ready and soda crackers to place small bits of of the fish on, headed out on to my deck. I'd really suggest a better hard bread type cracker or mashed potatoes, something more traditional. Had my knives, forks and plates ready as I didn't want to barehand it.

Placing the can in a plastic bag, well covered, I opened it with a can opener. The pressure releases very fast with a squirt of juices which is contained in the bag, after that part you can continue on without the bag for cover.

The initial smell is that of rotting garbage. Ever left a garbage bag in the sun for a couple days? That's what it smells like, but that smell goes away after a few short moments. The smell does fade quite quickly and once you're over that, it doesn't smell that bad. Very fishy, but so are many other things.

I plucked some out with a fork and cut off part of the fish (it looks just like any other canned whole fish), placed it on a cracker and took the bite whole.

The flavour seems a bit like anchovies and herrings with (asian style) fish sauce, pretty strong but not so strong, along with some flavour I can't describe at all, nothing quite like it. No gagging or anywhere even close to it. Not at all as bad as others seem to put on a show about. I gave my wife a small piece on a cracker, she agreed (and she's not as adventurous as I am with the weird stuff) and she didn't complain.

I think a lot of the youtube reaction videos of people trying it are putting on a big show, or they are people simply not used to stronger or unusual foods.

2013 Apr 25
texans trying surstromming

www.liveleak.com

2014 Feb 24
I'm very interested in finding some Surströmming.

Please let me know if anyone still has some, or knows where to get it.

Thank you.