Mason Jar + Blender [General]

2015 May 28
Seems like this trick has been well known by some, but just discovered that my blender base cap fits perfectly on a mason jar. Useful if you are a regular smoothie maker!

www.thekitchn.com

2015 May 28
Cool, but not a chance I'd try this in my kitchen or without body armour. Haha. I just envision the jar turning into a smoothie grenade.

2015 May 28
The Osterizer blender my parents bought back around 1975 came with a 6 pack of 250ml mason jars for doing this with. They were Osterizer brand jars.

2015 May 29
Yup, my mom always used small mason jars with her Osterizer for grinding almonds and hazelnuts into flour. Critical for making lovely Swiss xmas cookies and Linzertorte!

2015 May 29
I did this a few years ago and found that my mason jar fitted perfectly! ...until it came time to unscrew it. Depending on your machine, using a mason jar will screw it onto the base so tightly you will be unable to get it off. I had to freeze the jar/blade base, then use two people with grippy gloves turning in opposite directions to get it off. It took an hour.

never. doing. again.

2015 May 29
After the beautiful glass pitcher for my Oster blender broke (thanks to a toddler of mine) many years ago, I was incredibly thankful that I could fit a mason jar onto the blender base and use that instead.

Been using it like that for over 10 years without incident. The down side is I'm limited to a 1L capacity. I've not seen narrow mouth masons in anything larger than a 1L size.

2015 May 29
Well, that sounds like an opportunity for an enterprising young glass artist ...