Under 5% abv beers? [General]

2015 May 7
I have lamented in the past about the paucity of under 5% abv beers with lots of flavour and I'm finally seeing some new to me Canuck brews filling this needed imo niche. Right now I'm enjoying my first Mad & Noisy Hoppy Hefeweisen (4.7%) and find it somewhat tasty and satisfying, not a great Hefeweizen but still enjoyable. My only complaint about it is that the ingredients aren't listed on the can. Last week I enjoyed a couple Sawdust City Lone Pine IPA's (5%) that were also reasonably good and that makes me a little uneasy. I can see drinking them this summer more often than the lovely Belgian 10%'er I enjoyed last night.
Has anyone rec's for good summer beers for me and other summer beer drinkers to try? Giv' yer rec's!

2015 May 7
I looked through my current box of LCBO empties and found two at 4.9% that I would recommend. Jever Pilsner is one of my favourite pilsners (and a great summer beer) at the LCBO and is 4.9%. The other one I found at the same level is Old Tomorrow Canadian Pale Ale.

If you like fruit radlers, the LCBO have introduced a tonne of new ones. They've had the grapefruit radlers (one from Ontario, one from Austria) for a long time. There's now a blood orange one, a lemon one and a third grapefruit. They are all around 2.5% and are quite tasty if you like that sort of thing.

2015 May 7
A lot of British/Brit style beers are <5%, and have tons of flavour, but if you 're looking for reduced calories they might not be so good.

2015 May 7
Thanks Inkling. I haven't tried either and might if I see them. I'm not a fruit beer fan but do have the occasional one.

I had a look in my box of empties too when I went downstairs to roast some coffee. I knew there was another tasty beer I had a couple weeks ago that clocks in at 4.2% - The Witty Traveller from Railway City. I'll buy it again.

Another good beer I had recently is Head Stock IPA from Nickelbrook, though it's 7% but is really tasty.

Pete I've gone away from most English beers but still enjoy some Sottish beers. I would really like to try some Brew Dog beers but haven't seen any in Ontario. Anyone?

2015 May 7
I love the Naughty Neighbour from Nickel Brook. It's an American Pale Ale at 4.9%.

Great Lakes Brewing has a tasty 4.2% English Pale Ale called Pompous Ass, very good. Have to try it again to make sure I like it, but from what I remember I liked it....

2015 May 7
I good reason to take up homebrewing. You can make a very nice beer sub 4% ABV. Have made several in the 3.5% range for summer quaffing.

2015 May 8
I've always liked Muskoka products. They now have a 4 point something beer called "Detour". Havent tried it, but am a fan of their cream ale, mad tom and craft lager.

Recently tried Heller Highwater from Kittichissippi (sp?) and I enjoyed it.

IF you're a fan of the white beer, Side Launch has a nice one in LCBO that I tried the other day.

What area of town are you in? There are local breweries turning out some great stuff.

Bicycle Craft always has something new, and their standards are always tasty.

Broadhead has good stuff too, and a nice white beer for summer patio 'sipping'.

2015 May 8
Second the Nickle Brook naughty neighbor recommendation. It my go to IPA, and reminds me very much of Sierra Nevada.

2015 May 8
I tried Naughty Neighbour last year and wasn't impressed. I also tried Sierra Nevada IPA in Florida and wasn't as good as many IPA's available or made here...but I'm glad you like them sourdough and don't want to discourage others from trying them.
FoodMonger I too like a number of Muskoka products, but the Detour was only so so when I had it. Haven't seen Side Launch yet but it is not available in Kemptville, my nearest lcbo and Beer Store.
krusty I should make beer!

2015 May 8
I like a couple of German beers, Radeburger (4.8) and Wernesgruner(4.9), very crisp pilsener style beers which happen to be pretty cheap also.

2015 May 11
Andy - this may not be in your round house either - but Tree Brewing Hop Head comes in at 5.6%. Just curious which local IPA do you prefer? - always looking for something new. BTW not sure which you tried, but Sierra Nevada has their Pale Ale (which is an APA), and they also have two IPAs - Hop Head, and Torpedo (labeled as Extra IPA). I haven't tried the last two but the pale ale is the original and most widely distributed.

2015 May 11
Sourdough the Tree Brewing hop head is a fave of mine, as is Stone Brewings IPA. I love Collective Arts Rhyme & Reason EPA a lot, but was a bit disappointed with their Saints of Circumstance citrus-infused blonde ale (4.7%) - it was almost good and I could drink it but couldn't savour it. Maybe I should learn to relax and just enjoy it. Sadly I haven't tried local beers to the extent I would like. When you live an hour's drive from downtown you tend to avoid dui. Also sadly, I haven't greatly enjoyed the Ottawa beers I have tried. Some of Beau's beers I have said on more than one occasion that the beer had a good flavour but not enough flavour, not the concentration of flavour that other beer makers are producing, eg the Tom Green stout. I have yet to have a beer from Beyond the Pale, which is the one local my sil says is making some good beer.
PS thanks for using "round house" in your post - it reminded me that I have a "Round House" pizza review to write up for Mountain Station Pizza.

2015 May 11
Red Racer India Session Ale is only 4% and is full of west coast hop flavour.

2015 May 13
I'm a fan of Hop City's Lawn Chair hefeweizen. It comes in at 5% but is flavourful and refreshing as a summer drink. It's only available during the summer but the LCBO already seems to be stocking it.

2015 May 22
Kichesippi just released a radler (grapefruit) - 3%

2015 May 22
Things are heating up in the lower abv category this year after starting last year I think. Lots of new beers to try in this thread... Some I have yet to see... Carry on posting if you find more.
I've tried the Jever and it was decent, but I guess I'm looking for more local/Ontario/Canada offerings.
I tried the Side Launch white and it was smooth and easy drinking but lacking in overall flavours, but still a very good white beer. Not a lot to savour but well made.
The Pompous Ass was a nice surprise with a decent amount of both malt and hop flavours, not huge but still flavourful, and 4.2% abv makes it a good choice for me on days I want a light beer with some flavour. I will keep testing suggestions and hope others are doing their own testing with the suggestions here and any they might find.