The official all things bbq thread! (continued) [General]

2015 Apr 30
TOPIC continued from Forum - The official all things bbq thread!

OK the grilling topic is ongoing, but I'm bring this back to life, to include smoking. At Easter we did boneless smoked leg of lamb. It turned out very well and I was quite happy with it. It looks like a great weekend to get the smoker fired up again, and I'm thinking maybe Tri-tip. Anyone else firing up the smoker on this weekend?

2015 Apr 30
I would if I still had one! Next time I get to have smoked anything will be when I judge a BBQ competition.

2015 Apr 30
Urge to smoke and grill some pork butt is becoming intense. Have been looking this week for some nice butt...fruitless so far, but I know some is out there waiting...can't wait to get my hands on some...

2015 Apr 30
... phrasing ...

2015 May 1
Scorpion Pepper BBQ chicken wings tonight!

2015 May 1
Andy, if you want to grab a nice butt, try Slipicoff's Premium meats. It's pricey but very good.

2015 May 1
Anyone have a source locally for smoking pellets? The non traeger type as I hear they are not as pure :)

I have a new prototype smoke generator ready to try out.... the 'SmokeKrusty'

2015 May 1
Andy, I bought a really nice pork butt at The Butchery a few weeks back.

2015 May 1
Chicken wings tonight and beef ribs tomorrow

2015 May 1
Hey Krusty. Wanna share a pic or two of the SmokeKrusty ?
Thanks.

2015 May 1
Captain Caper of course.....give me a few days.

2015 May 1
What? A few days? You using a pinhole camera? I'm not surprised, and am impressed and waiting...

2015 May 1
Thanks Tree Pug and felinefan for the suggestions. Next time I'm in Otown I'll get one. Or two.

2015 May 1
Andy I need to mine some minerals this weekend first to make some film ;)

2015 May 4
I did not have time to source tri-tip. So instead a couple of pieces of butt. Also did some freezer mining and found the last small pack of krusty brand ribs. I tried to smoke some bad frozen chicken wings from Costco - the result was better chicken wings than normal but still pretty sad. All in all a good weekend, with plenty of pulled pork going back in the freezer for future nacho's/sandwiches and salads - yes pulled pork salad. Yum.

2015 May 14
What's the collective wisdom on frozen meat for bbq lifespan?
I have pork chops, chicken breasts and beef kebabs, all frozen back Aug 2014. No frost or discoloration i can see.
Garbage, worth a try, worth a try but have a back-up just in case, or marinate the living hell out of everything then hit the grill and hope for the best?

2015 May 14
Most of the stuff I do is frozen, as I buy when on sale. Should be no issue if they aren't freezer burnt. If they look a bit freezer burnt - then go with marinade to get some more moisture back in. The meat won't spoil, but the texture/taste may be off a bit. Given it less than one year, and it all looks good you should be good to go. (Frozen 1 month or 12 - freezer burn is the only factor)

2015 May 14
I remember sometime around 1988 my dear mother discovered a roast in the bottom of our chest freezer. It was from the 1970's. Tasted great! :D

This would have been wrapped in plastic *and* foil to keep it airtight and avoid freezer burn.

2015 May 14
It is complete garbage and may even be toxic.

Give me your address and I will come by to take it away for proper disposal.

2015 May 16
"It is complete garbage and may even be toxic.
Give me your address and I will come by to take it away for proper disposal."

111 Wellington St.
Come to the service entrance. Tell them you're there for the dead meat.
Wear black.