Nathan's pickles [General]

2015 Apr 9
I picked up a 500ml plastic bottle of (big breath) Nathan's New York style gourmet sweet horseradish pickles.

They were fucking awesome.

Were. Now, they are gone.

I was sure I picked them up at the Loblaws at College Square, but haven't seen them since.

If anyone else sees them, please let me know. I'm using the leftover juice to pickle some eggs and they should be equally delicious.

2015 Apr 9
I'll keep my eyes out for them. Just a point of clarification as I have never noticed them. They are a sweet pickle with horseradish in the brine? Like, grated or visible chunks? Whole pickles?

2015 Apr 10
They're thick sliced pickles, and since they're Nathan's, they're going to be in the refrigerated section. The bottom inch of the bottle was grated horseradish, garlic, and herbs.

So good.

Here is a picture of the sad, empty bottle (in my apparently gigantic robot pincers).

2015 Apr 10
I'll keep my eyes peeled. If I find them, do you want me to pick them up? I live in the Island Park/Scott st. Area.

2015 Apr 11
I go to that Loblaws fairly regularly, including today. I'll keep an eye out for them. They're normally in the case in the kosher section, yeah?

2015 Apr 11
I checked yesterday and they only have the sour pickles in that fridge in the kosher section.

2015 Apr 11
I checked today and it hasn't changed.

Now I want to try these things. I wonder if any of the Polish delis would have them.

2015 Apr 12
I waited until today to get groceries so I could talk to someone in the kosher section about them. I'll take the bottle to make sure that this is where I got them from.

There's no need to pick them up. Just let me know if you find them somewhere. I'm not the kind of person who would drive to the US for a particular flavour of yogourt, but this is close enough that I can track them down if I know where they are.

Actually, maybe I am that kind of person. I've ordered specialty foods from other countries that are no longer available in Canada (like Hostess cherry fruit pies).

2015 Apr 12
I saw them today at Loblaw's at the Merivale and Baseline location. They had maybe eight jars, one of which I bought.

2015 Apr 12
That's such a weird Loblaws that I always forget it's there (unless I'm driving through their parking lot to get to Bulk Barn).

Don't worry Rizak, I won't buy all remaining seven.

2015 Apr 13
I saw these on Saturday at the Loblaws in Bell's Corners. They had about 4 or 5 jars.

2015 Apr 13
Thanks (I think) for pointing these out. I just opened the jar and we ate a good third of them. They are oh-so-extremely-good.

2015 Apr 13
Rizak If you are ever downtown the Loblaws on Isabella sells them. There were half a dozen jars left when I was there last Friday.

2015 Apr 13
I talked to the guys in kosher on Sunday and was told that if it wasn't a truly kosher product, it wouldn't be back until all the passover stuff was gone. I'll keep looking and know that it'll be back. Thanks for looking and glad to have passed the news along.

Viral pickles.

2015 Apr 14
I love Nathan's. Our local Independent Grocer in Almonte carries these pickles from time to time. I always get a jar. And what's better - the brine, I'll take pickles from an inferior brine and put them into this jar for a week or two to improve the flavour. Awesome. Maybe I could deal them to you Rizak? I'll be your STC pickle provider.

2015 Apr 14
I used the brine to pickle a half-dozen eggs. Interesting, but I don't really recommend it. I prefer my pickled eggs to have more vinegar. Actually, pretty much straight vinegar.

2015 Apr 14
I got suckered into this thread and bought a jar at the Loblaw's on Pretoria. They are super sweet and I couldn't really taste the horseradish at all. And they left a very odd aftertaste. These aren't for me, but good luck to all of you still on the hunt. :)

2015 Apr 15
Yes, there is a lingering taste. I can't place it.

2015 Apr 15
This thread sucked me in as well and I'm glad it did. I do not typically like sweet pickles, just sour dills, but these are really nice. I definitely can taste the horseradish but it's a combination of a bunch of things.

2015 Apr 15
My husband dislikes sweet pickles, and doesn't eat them. He can't get enough of these. It's always nice to discover something new through sites such as this.

2015 Apr 15
My work here is done.
[flies off]

2015 Apr 15
It's going to be harder to find them now that (almost) everyone on Ottawa Foodies is suddenly addicted to them!