Vegan Chef . . . [General]

2015 Mar 26
Amazing . . .

mouthwateringvegan.com

2015 Mar 27
Those vegan foods look beautiful. Can I substitute eggs and milk for the egg and milk replacement in the recipes? ;-)

2015 Apr 3
Thanks for sharing!!

Most of my favorite recipes happen to be vegan.....not on purpose.

But my chocolate cake is to die for and all vegan.

2015 Apr 4
Another one: www.relishthebite.com

2015 Apr 8
EM: Care to share your cake recipe? Thanks!

2015 Apr 8
Gladly.

Vegan Chocolate Cake

1 3/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1tsp baking soda

1tbsp white vinegar
1tsp vanilla
1/4 cup oil
1 cup water

Mix dry together then add wet to dry right before either putting in a non greased cake pan or 12 muffin tins (with or without liners). Bake at 350 for 30minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

This recipe is forgiving......I have replaced the oil entirely with apple sauce or other purees, also have replaced the water with stout/porter.....have added many things to it like nuts and dried or frozen berries......yes it all adjust baking times but it is fool proof.

Enjoy.

2015 Apr 10
I have several good friends who are vegan, so it's nice to have these recipes in my back pocket. I just tried the first posted recipe (chocolate mousse) and it's really neat! The body of the mousse is made from the liquid chickpeas are canned in. It whips up like egg whites - pretty amazing. I don't think I will ever pour that stuff down the drain again.

I added some cinnamon and cayenne for a spicy flavour as well as a little more sugar than the recipe called for. I also added some of the whipped liquid to the chocolate mix to loosen it up before folding the chocolate in. The chocolate seized after the first bit, but I kept adding until it was loose enough to pour and fold.

It definitely sets better after being refrigerated. I think I will freeze some of it to see how it does as an ice cream substitute. Chickpeas and chocolate are a familiar combination from Italian treats I ate growing up, but I don't find it has a strong chickpea taste at all. I bet the chocolate would go well with some chestnut or hazelnut paste incorporated into it as well.

2015 Apr 11
There have been several prominent blogs lately about this miraculous new discovery of using chickpea water to make meringue. It works and I'm never using eggs to do it again. (okay, maybe just not often).

2015 Apr 11
I also freeze my firm tofu while its still in the package then it thaw in the fridge.......changes the texture, a lot yummier and such up sauces better. Way cheaper than meat, and I love it. Plus I used lots of TVP, defatted soy protein that I buy at bulk barn (not the name brand kind....they do sell both. Keeps forever, super lightweight so perfect for camping, and its DIRT cheap. I like it personally......but for fussy meat eaters I will mix it half half and cook it with ground meat......healthier and cheaper.

2015 Apr 12
Making soy milk at home is very cheap, about 20 cents a liter. And you can turn that into yoghurt as well I do it all the time. Or just a slightly sour, slightly fizzy cream for adding to breakfast cereal in the morning.