Skyr yogurt [Food/Vendor]

2015 Mar 26
I had been buying Skyr yogurt at Costco on Merivale Road. However, it looks like they have stopped carrying it as the last two times I have been there, there was none to be found. If anyone knows if the other Costco's in the area including Gatineau have it, could you post here? Or, if you have seen it anywhere else I'd appreciate knowing. It is truly delicious stuff and I would go out of my way to get some.

2015 Mar 26
Sometimes things I really like disappear from Costco. It's frustrating.

2015 Mar 26
Francis, that's for sure. Their breakfast cookies have also disappeared. They also had some really good fresh potstickers a while back and when we went to get more, they had stopped stocking them. As you say, it's frustrating.

2015 Mar 26
They get their stuff in waves. I've spoken to staff about it before and they say it's just a matter of their industry. They stock sometimes strange products in large quantities, it makes sense that they wouldn't carry it forever.
...which is why I bought the giant box of applesauce snack packs. It was such a damned good price.

I'll check at the Kanata one next time I'm there.

2015 Mar 27
I bought some at the Kanata Costco yesterday. I bought the two pack of vanilla/strawberry for $5.69. There were many remaining.

Very thick, very high protein, pretty high sugar...and i enjoy it.

2015 Mar 27
Oooh, I am so going out there tomorrow to get some. Thank you so much for letting me know.

2015 Mar 27
Haha, you're welcome! I kinda wish I bought more, but the expiry date was April 9 anyhow.

2015 Mar 28
Can it be frozen ? I know freezing doesn't kill lactobactillus, because the starter cultures are freeze dried. Also I read a paper where a culture had been frozen 30 years and worked to inoculate a fresh batch. But I'm wondering if there is separation or texture change ?

2015 Mar 28
If stuff isn't selling at one store I suspect they move it to another. Of course you can get stuff at the Costco in Gatineau that you can't in Ottawa, besides beer and wine of course.

2015 Mar 30
They also have it at the Innes Road Costco.
Side note: If headed to the US, look for Smári yogurt. I just returned from Florida and am now wishing I had filled my suitcase with it. The consistency is perfection. Organic, little vanilla bean bits, help...
smariorganics.com

2015 Mar 31
I did get some Skyr yogurt and Costco Kanata so thanks for telling me where to find it. Skyr yogurt will be available in other stores in a couple of months. When I find out where, I will post it here. AMR, at which store did you buy the Smari yogurt? I will be in Burlington at the end of the month and may come back through the States and wouldn't mind picking some up.

2015 Mar 31
At The Fresh Market in Jupiter, Florida…a bit out of the way for you.
You can find locations through their website here:
smariorganics.com

Burlington may be the closest location to Ottawa to find it though. It lists
Healthy Living Market
222 Dorset St South, Burlington VT 05403

2015 Mar 31
AMR, thank you. Yes, Jupiter is a bit out of the way, :) but I did track it down to a store that sells it in Buffalo, so that is doable. It looks as though independent places sell it rather than the chains. How long out was the expiry date?

2015 Mar 31
And what happened to the California dried figs at Costco. I can't live without those !

2015 Apr 2
Skyr yogurt is a available at the Gatineau Costco and at the same price as in Ontario.

2015 Apr 3
Ricelover, we went to the Gatineau Costco today and picked up some Skyr yogurt. The expiry date is April 24th which makes me think they must have gotten a new batch in.

2015 May 7
AMR, I stopped in Buffalo and bought some Smari yogurt. Neither my husband nor I cared for it. He didn't like the texture or the flavour while I liked the texture but found it too tangy. I guess different strokes for different folks and all that.....I did send you a PM saying I would pick some up for you if you wanted some but that message remains unread, or at least it did up until the time we left.

Anyone out there stil buying Skyr? On my last trip to Costco Merivale they still did not have any.

2015 May 8
I bought some in Kanata last week. I tried it vs the skotidakis yogurt. Both are similar in texture, while Skyr is not as sweet. Skotidakis has a higher fat content - which we like for our kids, while I don't particularly need any extra.