Small plates discussion... [Food/Vendor]

2015 Mar 19
Interesting to get the chef's take on small plates. I like. Good read.
www.ottawacitizen.com

2015 Mar 20
The part on challenges is interesting... and IMO misguided. We've really lost sight of the origin of small plates and the experience *most* diners are looking for with them. The idea that 3 small plates = 1 app, 1 main is bizarre. Pricey small plates are a scourge on the restaurant scene. It's important for chefs to remember that any time they catch themselves saying the customers just don't get it, they should really have another think about what they're doing.

It's true that the business case is tough to make in a place like Ottawa, where turnover is an issue, but it's still annoying to have restaurants insist on making diners pay more for less.

2015 Mar 21
Totally agree with Brian. When I think small plates, I think tapas, and around here you're often paying main prices for (t)app(as) size dishes. In a lot of places in Spain, the food comes with the drink. ok the drink is expensive, but overall. . . . . .

2015 Mar 22
Further to Hungry Pete's comment, this is what came with my 2€ beer in touristy Santiago de Compostela last summer. My wife got the same thing with her cheaper bottled water! Ottawa's high-end small plates scene certainly seems to ignore the endearing simplicity of cheap tapas joints.

P.S. Just read Peter Hum's great article linked to in the first post. All good comments from some of Ottawa's great chefs. I can also vouch for Le Comptoir in Montreal and I've been wanting to try Bar Isabel in Toronto.

2015 Mar 22
When I think small plates, I think dim sum where I get a lot of small plates (5-6) for $20. ;)

2015 Mar 23
S'funny, because in many many places lately my go to is 3-4 apps vs 1 ap 1 main, specifically to try more stuff. Obviously there are places where this doesn't work, but when it does it tends to be a really enjoyable meal. Of course you have to be eating with like minded people for that to work.

2015 May 9
I can vouch for Bar 941 in Vancouver. Do not miss the fried Navaho bread with dips.