Where to take 6 year old twins for their birthday [General]

2015 Mar 3
My kids are turning 6 on Friday and since it's a work and school day, we're trying to decide where to take them for dinner to celebrate (the first of several celebrations). We will be 6 people (4 adults and the 2 kids).

Has anyone been to the Lone Star lately? Was thinking about new (newer?) location on Hunt Club or maybe the one on baseline, was thinking about going there since we have coupons for the kids to eat free ...

Welcome other ideas that are decent for adults to eat at but still family friendl/fun. We live around Westboro, was trying to think of a family friendly non-chain restaurant option closer to more like Wellington/Richmond Road/Preston street usuals? ... something like Colonnade pizza but nicer ambiance ... fun ... thoughts? ideas?

On another note, I've been told that the new place "Pure" where Milagros used to be opened in the last week or so.

Good veggie burgers and vegan cupcakes. Thinking this could be an option, for some reason, I'd like to go to somewhere I haven't been to at all or at least recently ...

2015 Mar 3
Have you tried Flying Banzini? Sandwiches, Pizzas, salads, Several veggie options. Lively atmostphere. Although they generally do not take reservations. If you email Dave, the owner, he may reserve a table for you.

2015 Mar 3
FWIW Tuckers Marketplace in the Byward Market offers free dinner for the birthday person and they are family friendly. One big draw for the kids is the ice cream bar.

If you like pizza but something a little more upscale than the Colonnade there is always The Grand.

Zak's Diner is always a popular family place.

2015 Mar 3
We too like the flying Banzini.

2015 Mar 3
Banzini was just rated one of the top 10 kid friendly restaurants in Canada.

www.foodnetwork.ca!The-Flying-Banzini-Ottawa-Canada-kid-friendly-restaurant

2015 Mar 4
"We too like the flying Banzini."

For some reason i read this in Austin Powers' voice in my head.

2015 Mar 5
Non Foodie Related, but I would vote SKYZONE!!

Its only a short jaunt from the new Lone Star on Hunt Club, if thats where you end up going.

2015 Mar 5
My kids (5 & 9) LOVE going to "the cowboy restaurant" Lone Star!! They love the fajitas! And they make you wear the big cowboy hat when they sing Happy Birthday ;)

2015 Mar 7
So Flexie where'd you end up?

2015 Mar 9
Thanks to Harrysmom as she wrote exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks to the rest of you for your suggestions. I had never heard of Skyzone but looked it up. Seems to be a well kept secret as none of the people I asked about it had heard of it. Which is too bad as it seems really fun!

As for the Flying Banzini, I've been there one or two times (not with children)and had pretty good food BUT I find it hard to get excited about sandwiches (even grilled Paninis which are my favourite) --- it's lunch food; I'm glad we have a very decent option but it is just not something that I can get excited about. Alsom the place seems kind of sophisticated which would be wasted on my children, particularly my daughter who only eat white bread, cheese, plain pasta noodles, etc.

As for Lone Star (aka "the cowboy restaurant"). It was spot on for the purpose. We didn't wait long as we called in advance, x-large margaritas were only $10. Food was as expected, decent but nothing to really crave. When the manager found out that we were celebrating twin boy/girl twin birthday, he paid us extra attention (came to speak to us several times, etc.) and he comped the kids' meal. He said he was a twin (his sister was one minute older than him as is the case for my kids) and this is what he likes to do for families who have twins.

When we said we had the kids birthday club coupon, he said to keep if for another time. I doubt we'll be back for dinner there in the next month but all in all it was a good choice for the occasion. I wish I could tell you exactly how much we paid for the three adults but the grandmother picked up the tab so I don't really know. One thing I noticed is that lots of people left with doggie bags, as did we. I think they fill you up on the free chips and salsa, give you big portions (at least for the fajitas) and have you leave with an an extra meal to take home. All in all it is a good formula to keep the crowds coming and they seemed fairly busy that night so it must be working!

2015 Mar 9
meant to make a comment about sharing off topic photo, what can I say ... i am not really one to let food sit long enough to photograph it and I am proud of my wee ones!

2015 Mar 11
Cute pic!! Glad it worked out!

I'm craving fajitas now :)

2015 Apr 6
Way late to the party, but I thought the kids' menu at Bowman's was good. We were there on Super Bowl Sunday, and everybody was really nice to us too!