Best Lunch near NAC [General]

2015 Feb 10
We're not from Ottawa and want a great lunch before going to the NAC. Any recommendations close by the NAC? We love food, locally sourced, will spend but want great value for the money...food and experience.

2015 Feb 10
Sounds like you may want to try Beckta

2015 Feb 11
I second Beckta.

2015 Feb 11
There's also play in the Market.

2015 Feb 11
Beckta enough said. :)

2015 Feb 11
New User 6074 Both Beckta and Play are owned by Steve Beckta and they are favourites with the foodie community in Ottawa - and deservedly so! I'm sure you will enjoy your meal no matter which one you go to.

If you would like another option I could also recommend Murray Street in the Byward Market. They also source their foods locally and their food is fantastic.

In an effort to come up with more recommendations, is your preference for locally sourced food firm? Because we have some really good restaurants in the area that do not necessarily serve locally sourced food. And do you have much time to spare? I could recommend a few more places but they might be a 10 to 15 minute walk away...

2015 Feb 11
Rent some skates and go for a skate on the canal and grab something in one of the shacks there.

Far more memorable experience than anything listed so far.

2015 Feb 11
Here is what is available on the canal if you really want a unique Ottawa experience.

www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca

Rideau: Coffee and hot beverages, Aunt Sarah’s Chocolates*, fast food, BeaverTails® pastries, lollipops*, maple taffy
Concord: Coffee and hot beverages, sausages, BeaverTails® pastries, maple taffy, Flapjack’s Pancakes
Fifth: Coffee and hot beverages, fast food, BeaverTails® pastries, maple taffy*, lollipops*
Bronson: Tacos, coffee and hot beverages*, pretzels*, BeaverTails® pastries
Dows: Other types of foods are available in the Dows Lake Pavilion.

Looks like to get a proper meal you might have to skate all the way up to the Dow's Lake Pavilion, which is a good 5km skate. But if you can skate at all it won't take you long to get there. The food at the mexican place there is pretty good if you like that type of food.

A sausage and a beavertail would make a pretty decent lunch though. I think "Fast Food" includes burgers and dogs but maybe someone else can comment. Fries for sure.

2015 Feb 13
I'm surprised no one said it, but the food at Le Cafe in the NAC is quite good. I eat there on a semi regular basis with clients and I've never had a bad meal.

2015 Feb 13
All fine places mentioned (though Beckta might not be open for lunch depending on when you're planning on going). If it is a weekday, Town is also a few minutes down Elgin, they do a good lunch.

2015 Feb 13
I second Town. Wonderful food and service. Be sure to make reservations though, even for lunch. I'd also recommend Oz Cafe also on Elgin, but just a little farther south.