Costco Pulled Pork [Cooking]

2015 Feb 1
Noticed today at Costco a pork butt vacuum sealed with a marinade, so decided to pick it up to try.

Smoked it 4 hours in the Bradley then 4 hours in the oven and it is incredible!

Will definitely pick one up again.

2015 Feb 1
About 30 minutes in

2015 Feb 1
Out of the smoker and ready for the oven

2015 Feb 1
Not quite the right dimensions but it will do ...

2015 Feb 1
Out of the oven and ready to pull ... almost. This was about 2.5 hours in the oven and I was only able to pull about half of it. But I had to because I was hungry. It went back into the oven after this for another 100 minutes and at that point it just fell apart on the forks.

2015 Feb 1
And at this point in the day evidently my videographer (oldest son) decided to photo-bomb me ... classic! :-) (posting for some comic relief ;-))

2015 Feb 1
I won't win any awards for plating but damned those were good sandwiches. The buns were from Costco as well.

Guess what we are all having for lunches tomorrow?

2015 Feb 1
All pulled. As mentioned, I will definitely pick up another one of these guys in the future.

2015 Feb 3
Which costco was it?

2015 Feb 3
Merivale

Here is the video I did

2015 Feb 3
MichaelGA I picked one up at the Cyrville/Innes Costco. $7.99/kg

2015 Feb 3
Let us know how you like it.

2015 Feb 4
Boy #1 (finger shown above) just asked whether he could make himself pulled pork nachos for supper.

Great idea!

2015 Feb 4

2015 Feb 5
Did it have the fat cap removed? I don't see a bone either.

2015 Feb 5
There was a small piece of shoulder blade in there, and there was too much fat removed for my liking but you see at the end there was still lots in the bottom of the pot to mix into the pulled pork.

2015 Feb 5
pulled pork pizza is also a good use for leftovers. You need some jalapeno on your nachos.

2015 Feb 6
the roast was fairly well coated with a dry rub, or so it appeared when I cut off the 4 edges and dropped it into the roasting pan. I roasted uncovered at 250F for 8 hours, by which time the internal temp had reached just over 200F. I removed, covered it with foil and a towel and let it rest for 20 min. before pulling it. It pulled very easily. It wasn't as tasty as the recipe I use regularly but neither of us had complaints. The taste was boosted with the bbq sauce and the curtido that I made to have on it - yum!
So, in the end the "Ultimate Pork'n Pull pork shoulder roast *Rubbed with Southern BBQ Spices* from Costco made some decent pulled pork with less fuss than buying fresh pork and making your own rub. Note that I didn't follow the cooking directions on the package.

2015 Feb 6
the results, pulled pork and Moomie's buns...

the roast was almost 2.9 kg, $7.99/kg...

Edit to add I got close to 1500 g of meat so slightly less than 50% of the initial weight as that 1500 g includes all the jus and some of the fat added back in.