Bone broth hits Ottawa [Cooking]

2015 Jan 28
WTF? Seriously? "Bone broth"? "hits Ottawa"?

WTF have chefs, grandmothers and foodies been doing up til now if not making "bone broth".

I guess silly me, I always just called it "broth". For the last 30 years or so ...

Yeesh ...

ottawacitizen.com

2015 Jan 28
One of my friends told me about this trend after hearing about Kobe Bryant's endorsement of it. I had the same reaction. Huh? Broth? You mean that stuff that you've already been having your entire life? Trendy health superfoods, diets, and the like always make me cringe.

2015 Jan 29
So ... hipster sauce? Made from freshly squeezed hipster, (flown in daily from Portland) clarified to get out all those pesky beard hairs, throw in a quart of quinoa, some kale, and a soupçon of sriracha to taste.

Broth bars? I'd be tempted to just call it a brothel. But, you know me.

Well, we were wondering what the new ridiculous trend would be.
I mean, people have been doing this for hundreds of years. Bovril? That's just an instant version of a morning cup o'broth.

2015 Jan 30
My kids tell me the latest thing at school is clear hydration solutions. It is clear and odorless, although some kids get the artisinal stuff from rural sources - which may have a slight egg like aroma. All the kids seem to have their own source as they bring it to school in plastic drinking containers. I think its the next big trend ....

2015 Jan 30
Whatever happened to 'artisanal' toast?
I thought that was the next big thing. . . . .

2015 Jan 30
As an aside, I think "Artisanal" has become a contronym now that McDonald's touts their Angus burger as being served on an "artisanal roll." A product really can't get much less artisanal and more mass-produced than a McD's bun.

Personally, I'd be happy to see the word artisanal go away. The adjective puts the word 'anal' a little too close to my food. Especially when applied to buns.

2015 Jan 30
Bone broth has been a staple in Ketogenic or low carb high fat diets for years. I really can't believe people buy it. Make your own!

2015 Jan 30
Has anyone found a local source for vegan or vegetarian bone broth? I'm having a hard time finding a good, locally sourced option.......

2015 Jan 31
Never heard of bone broth before, or vegan bone broth, so I googled it:

www.organicauthority.com

2015 Jan 31
I think it's also called Jello or Gummy Bears (non vegan of course) . . .

chriskresser.com

2015 Jan 31
I had always thought that the difference was that broth (or stock) was simmered for 5 to 7 hours, but that "bone broth" was simmered for 24 to 48 hours.

Many naturopaths suggest 48-hour bone broth for "leaky gut syndrome".

2015 Feb 1
Back when I was selling broth at the farmers market, I called it 'bone broth' or 'bone stock' because to me, broth usually has bones from some critter, AND a handful of veggie bits, like celery tops, onions, carrots, etc., added to it while it simmers gently for a few days on your stove.

To me, a melange of bones and veggie scraps makes broth, but if I was only using bones, then I called it bone broth.

I was always amazed at how many people couldn't find the time to make their own stock, but, I work from home so it makes it easier for me to do that kind of thing. If I worked the same hours I do now but away from home, you better believe I'd be buying 'bone broth' too!

Edit: HFF, wouldn't vegan broth just be made with veggies, and maybe some barley if you wanted to thicken it?

2015 Feb 1
Speaking of... I have some "bone" broth on the stove now. Roasted the bones yesterday and popped it on the stove.

2015 Feb 1
Now that explanation almost makes sense - if it is just the bones then call it "bone broth"

2015 Feb 1
Hmmmm, I need to make some more broth soon.

2015 Feb 1
Organic girl - I was being a smart-a$$ ;)

2015 Feb 1
lol! HFF, if only you knew how many times I've been asked that question from vegans or vegetarians who were very serious about making bone broth without the bones!

2015 Feb 3
I took you seriously.

2015 Feb 5
You know, I was going to post the exact same thing until I saw that she had done so. I'm pretty sure everyone would have seen MY post as sarcasm of the lowest order.

All of my posts are shown in SarcasticaBold font.

2015 Feb 13
I've actually been looking for a good source for beef bones that are suitable for making broth that aren't priced like they are made of gold, now that this shit has been published its going to get even worse. The celery root price phenomenon will surely happen with bones now.

2015 Feb 13
If you buy a side or quarter beef from a local farmer you can get all the bones. And since most people don't take them you can get extras and pretty much get as much as you want at no cost. Depends on the farmer I guess but all the ones I've bought from will do this.

2015 Feb 13
Stuart - check with Organic girl

2015 Feb 13
If this is possible: vegan bacon grease: m.huffpost.com

2015 Feb 19
I get really cheap bones from Loblaws college square that I use for my stock.

2015 Feb 22
Bone broth backlash . . .

firstwefeast.com

2015 Feb 22
Hee, hee - quote :

"You’re probably wondering why I’m calling it bone broth instead of just broth. Isn’t broth just made from bones always, and the only reason to specific is if you’re making vegetable broth? Yes, it is. So why the redundancy? Because market research shows that it’s easier to get credulous New Yorkers to pay $9 for a 15¢ cup of SOUP WITH NO NOODLES OR VEGGIES OR MEAT when you gussy up the name with a second word."