Ramens of Japan [General]

2015 Jan 14

2015 Jan 15
Thanks. That was very informative.

2015 Jan 15
Francis You are making me hungry-;) I had ramen in Toronto last year for the first time in my life at Hokkaido Ramen and it was soooo good! I ordered the tonkotsu ramen at the waitress' recommendation. I really wish we had ramen places like that in Ottawa...

2015 Jan 15
Ashamed to say I've only had ramen from a package. I guess it's the new student food that replaces Kraft Dinner :-)

But those Japanese Ramens do look good. I wonder if they will deliver to Canada :-)

2015 Jan 16
We've been watching something on Netflix where the guy was visiting a lot of ramen places in Japan - sorry but I can't remember what it was but some cooking show. It blew my mind in any case and made me want to visit Japan to have ramen

2015 Jan 16
Francis You don't have to go to Japan to get ramen! There are tons of ramen places in Toronto which is only 4.5 hrs away and many of them are good. Hokkaido (where I went) has been getting good reviews and deservedly so.

2015 Jan 16
@Zymurgist you're probably watching Mind of a Chef with David Chang (of Momofuku fame) - same thing I am watching (and salivating at) as well! David Chang is also one of the editors of Lucky Peach hence all the stuff on ramen appearing on their website at the moment. I think we have a couple of restaurants in town doing some ramen but the only dedicated shop is Ginza Ramen on Somerset and their other location on Elgin. I've only been once and the ramen is ok... not fantastic but not bad. At $12 a pop though, it is hard to compete with a lot of the pho places in Chinatown who have tastier broth. But the experience is fun and it's worth trying if you haven't already or haven't had non-packaged ramen before.

2015 Jan 16
Yes that was it.

2015 Jan 16
There are ramen places in Ottawa. There's one on Elgin. I saw it yesterday. I know there are others. I've seen them reviewed here.

I'd love to try it some time. It sounds so nummy.

2015 Jan 17
I get ramen at Ginza on Elgin maybe once a week for lunch, either the shoyu or the spicy depending on how cold it is outside. I think the broth is very good (even better once you stir a bit of the soft egg yolk into it), the pork belly is really tender and has a hint of charred flavour, more like wok hei then indirect heat char, it's a lovely thing.

Taste Fusion on Bank used to do a passable ramen (which felt more 'authentic' thanks to the naruto floating on top), but I don't know if they still offer it (it's changed names/management?).

And it seems Festival Japan at Kent and Albert serves ramen now as well, but I haven't tried it yet.