Smoked ham cooking tips? [General]

2014 Dec 23
Hi I'm going to do a ham this Xmas. I have a 10lb bone in, smoked, uncooked, half ham. Never done one before and would appreciate any advice.

2014 Dec 23
I've always had success with this recipe: www.texansmokingbbq.com

2014 Dec 23
Check out the Big Green Egg site for the Forty Creek ham recipe. I made a version of this and it turned out great.

2014 Dec 27
I'm too late with this but I cooked mine in the crockpot this year. I've cooked many things in my slow cooker in the past but this was the first time cooking a ham in it. The ham was very very tender and moist and I now prefer cooking it in the slow cooker over the oven. I used a smoked ham, stuck a few whole cloves in it, then popped in in the slow cooker cooking on low for 8 hours. Hope your ham turned out well.

2014 Dec 27
@Pasta lover

Did you add any liquid? If so what?

I also love my slow cooker!

2014 Dec 27
Sous Vide,

You can get pretty close to that with a slow cooker under 300W and a dimmer plug from Canadian Tire set to about half way.

2014 Dec 28
Ham was fabulous. About 4 1/2 hours on 250 (cooked a lot faster than I had expected). I did not add thing one to it. I will give PL's method a try sometime.

2015 Jan 3
EM I did not use any liquid. I just stuck a few whole cloves in the ham and popped it in the slow cooker. It seems to steam the meat and ended up with a little juice left in the bottom of the slow cooker when the ham was done. It was the moistest ham I have ever had.

2015 Jan 3
Thanks....wouldn't have thought to try it that way....but since I picked one up on sale I think I'll try your method Pasta lover.

2015 Jan 4
Good luck with the ham. Apparently you can cook sausages and roast beef the same way although I haven't tried it yet.