Where to buy Israeli couscous in Ottawa? [Cooking]

2007 Nov 9
I recently had Israeli couscous at a restaurant and was thinking of cooking it on my own. Does anyonw know where it might be available in Ottawa?

Thanks

2007 Nov 9

2007 Nov 10
OK, I'll bite, what makes it Israeli?

2007 Nov 10
Straight from Wikipedia:

Israeli couscous, also known as maftoul or pearl couscous, is a larger version of couscous and used in slightly different ways.In Western cooking it is often used as a bed for salmon or chicken dishes, or put into salads. Compare with Middle Eastern Tabouli or egg barley.

Israeli couscous is a version of North African Berkukes, introduced by immigrants from various parts of North Africa in the early 1950s, and Levantine Maghrebiyya (from the Maghreb) common in Palestine, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon. Couscous was meant to provide a rice substitute for those immigrants from eastern Arab countries and from Persia, where rice was the staple grain. Unlike North African couscous, Palestinian couscous (Maftoul) is not semolina at all, but rather a toasted mixture of bulgur and flour.

2007 Nov 10
Aha! Should have gone there first.

2007 Nov 11
I made an extensive search for Israeli couscous recently.
While you can buy it in some of the health food stores (Herb and Spice, etc), the best selection I've found is in the kosher aisle of the Loblaws at Baseline and Woodroffe.

2010 Aug 20
bump

2010 Aug 20
I got some a couple of weeks ago, along with an industrial quantity of Harissa, at the Mid-Eastern at the corner of Bank and Somerset.

2010 Aug 20
Market Organics has it as well.

2010 Aug 20
Saw some at the Orleans Bulk Barn yesterday.

2010 Aug 20
It is good. I bought some at the bulk barn in Brockville, but I'm sure they all carry it

2010 Aug 20
I saw it at Bulk Barn Wed., at South Keys, beside the cous cous.

2010 Aug 21
I think they had it at Nicastro's on Merivale.

2010 Aug 21
The Kosher isle at Loblaws college square has it all the time.

2012 Feb 7
I called both the local health food shop and Bulk Barn here in Brockville yesterday (Feb 6,2012) and neither of the stores carry the Israeli couscous. What a disappointment.

Maybe I'd have better luck trying Kingston. With Queens and SLC students there should be more ethnic markets than Brockville.

2012 Feb 7
Not Ottawa, but if you're in the Perth area. Foodsmiths carries it.

2012 Feb 7
rise dead thread.... RIIIIIIIiiiIIIIiiiiSEEEE!

And i've also bought it at Loblaws, ...the South Keys location at that.

2012 Feb 11
Bulk Barn at Gloucester Center or Blair off Queensway has it. I have bought it there serveral times before.

2012 Feb 13
I'm pretty sure that The Byward Fruit Basket also sells it