New Openings 2014 (continued again) [General]

2014 Nov 30
TOPIC continued from Forum - New Openings 2014 (continued)

Soca Kitchen & Pub opened on Friday.

2014 Dec 1
Dominican Express on St. Joseph's across from Place D'Orleans.
www.dominicanexpress.ca/

Intrigued, but the 'Starters' section of the menu gives me pause.

2014 Dec 1
"...the 'Starters' section of the menu gives me pause."

You mean spanakopita and tzaziki aren't staples of the Caribbean diet?

2014 Dec 2
"You mean spanakopita and tzaziki aren't staples of the Caribbean diet?"

Or, at the very least, somewhat less so than the uber-traditional jalapeno poppers.

2014 Dec 2
Local Pub and Eatery opens tomorrow at 3pm at Landsdowne.

2014 Dec 3
Got a flyer in my mailbox for El Capitano Taco Stand on Merivale. Seems like it's in the small strip mall with St John's Music, across from Menchies.

So far I've only seen a lot of canned, staff-written reviews. We'll see, I guess.

2014 Dec 3
it's in the old Grace O'Malley's....

2014 Dec 3
Spotted it. It's nice looking at least.... I like the Dios de Los Muertos paint job on the frontage.

2014 Dec 4
Equator Coffee finally opened in Westboro. This is the satellite from their main location in Almonte. I haven't had the chance to check it out yet. They just opened, like yesterday.

They're at 412 Churchill. That's just a couple of doors up the hill from the intersection at Wellington.

2014 Dec 4
I got a message from the guys at SOCA saying that they'll be serving lunches starting next week.

2014 Dec 4
El Capitano Taco Stand hasn't started off well in my books. A serious shill job with the reviews on another site. 10 positive reviews in one day. What are they thinking?
And the coupon we just got in the mail requires a two drink minimum with every special. I haven't seen that move before.

2014 Dec 4
the 'Local Lounge and Grill' at Landsdowne - is it acually a local joint, or run by a big conglomerate like everything else in that place?

2014 Dec 4
Local Pub and Eatery is part of the Joey's group of restaurants. Never been but I hear the food is good.

2014 Dec 5
Les Grillades is opening on Prince of Wales where Grillman's was - I wonder if it's affiliated with the spot on Holland Ave?

2014 Dec 5
Belmont opened last night with a large dinner party. Small plates, cocktails, and uber-industrial with reclaimed wood interior. Staff was friendly.

2014 Dec 8
For us roti/pattie lovers:
Flavours of the Carribean going in where Pixie's was. . . . . . . .

2014 Dec 8
Pete, know anyone involved? Could it be the caterer who goes by the same name? You bring good news...thanks.

2014 Dec 8
The manager of the Mayflower for 25 years tweeted today that they would be re-opening. No details of timeline or location.

dunc37.wix.com/mayflower

twitter.com/MayflowerOttawa

2014 Dec 10
New dumpling place...Guys from Ginza Ramen behind this new joint. Great review by Peter Hum. Can't wait to try it.

ottawacitizen.com

2014 Dec 10
stevebeckta just tweeted that North and Navy is opening early 2015 in the former location of Beckta. It aims to be a Venetian style Bacaro, which is basically a Northern Italian tapas bar... an unpretentious wine bar with small plates.

Promising!

2014 Dec 28
Went to the King Eddy in the market-it has been open a week. It's trying to be a cross between a bar and a diner-cheap diner menu (basic cheeseborger-7$) pints 5.75$. Not bad. Staff are a bit disorganized, but may work itself out. Best thing is that it's not a fake something or other kind of place. Lots of tile/hard surfaces so it's noisy, extra points tho for the old school ska/reggae soundtrack.