General Tao's Chicken [General]

2007 Nov 9
Haven't they bastardized this dish enough already?!

2007 Nov 9
Brutal! Thanks for piquing my curiousity!

2007 Nov 9
Haha... hey, I'll try any chip flavour once!

2007 Nov 9
I've tried it - not so much. But the schezwan chips are pretty good.

2007 Nov 9
They're tasty! Not very much like general tso's chicken, but tasty!

2007 Nov 9
Where da ya git dees mudders ?

I remember Hostess trying fruit flavoured chips ...grape , orange and cherry... a BIG flop. One summer season only.

The first batch of Lays Curry Chips were good ... now they are WAY too salty.

Oh Well .

2007 Nov 11
I am currently eating the buffalo wing & blue cheese flavour, and I must say, it's pretty accurate! Of course, it doesn't taste like chicken *crunch*

2007 Nov 11
I picked up the General T's chips today at Loblaws (College Square). Haven't tried them yet but they're sale priced right now. $1.49 for the bag!

I also picked up a bag of Old Dutch ripple chips! Until now, we only had kettle chips and tortilla chips from OD here. Looking forward to seeing how they stack up against the usuals...

2007 Nov 12
I haven't tried the new PC chips with the wild flavours as of yet... HOWEVER, the Old Dutch ripple chips are definitely superior to that of your usual Ruffles/Lays/Humpty Dumpty varieties.

The Creamy Dill flavour is delicious!

2007 Nov 13
The buffalo wing flavour is so good, love the hint of blue cheese! The General Tao's Chicken not really what I expected, kinda bland. Those people at Presidents Choice, always tempting us!!

2007 Nov 13
Old Dutch ripple chips soooo good.

2007 Nov 13
Yep, the Old Dutch ripples are everything I remember from my childhood! Now if only we had a more plentiful selection of sour cream based chip dips in this part of the world (they seem to be mostly cream cheese based, what's up with that?)

2007 Nov 13
Oh god, Old Dutch chips... memories of my childhood in NW Ontario as well... I found the rippled au gratin cheese flavoured Old Dutch at Loeb recently... it was like a blast from the past... the best chips ever, for completely nostalgic, subjective reasons! ;)

2007 Nov 13
Sour cream based dips are just sour cream with flavour added aren't they? It seems that it would be stupendously easy to make your own either with onion soup mix, or commercial powdered dip packages.

2007 Nov 13
Well yeah, but...

My favourite was always the dill pickle one. I guess I could find some combination of dill, acid, and finely chopped pickle to make it myself, but it's supposed to be easy!

The only dill pickle dip I've seen here was cream cheese based, and that's just not cool!

2007 Nov 14
Mmmmmm - I like dill dip too! I know I have seen powdered dill dip packages before - have you checked the "powdered soup, salad dressing, sauces, dip etc" aisle?

Also, you could make your own dry dill dip mix and keep it in a jar in your cupboard. I imagine it would include dried dill, dried onion etc.

2007 Nov 24
FF - I hear you re: the lack of sour cream based dips available. I found this cheap dill dip at Food Basics of all places. The same brand is available at Loblaws, but the only flavours they stock are french onion and "california style".

I also whip up this simple homemade dill dip from time to time - I omit the MSG, cut down on the mayo and salt, and increase the dill dosage!

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup sour cream
* 1 cup mayonnaise
* 1 teaspoon celery salt
* 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
* 1 teaspoon garlic salt
* 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
* 1 teaspoon monosodium glutamate (MSG)
* 1 teaspoon dried parsley

allrecipes.com

2007 Nov 24
Thanks for the tips, Monty! From what I can see of the ingredients of the Dip-a-Chip stuff I think I'd have to pass. The first two ingredients are water and partially hydrogenated soybean oil -- nice and cheap but not quite sour cream! :-)

The dip recipe looks good though! Will have to try that.

2007 Nov 24
Old Dutch ripple chips .... yes a blast from them good ol' days in NW Ontario. But I'm a sucker diping them in just plain old sour cream. But found a good alternative in Liberty's plain yogurt. Ummm just might have to run out & get me some for tomorrow's Grey Cup game snacks.
Checked out those PC General Tao's and Buffalo Wing chips - just don't like flavoured chips that rely on the monosdium glutamate to punch up the flavour.