home ec [General]

2014 Nov 17
Did anyone ever take a course in home economics in school? I grew up in a test district in Toronto until I was 13. We had the school year split into 3 parts and one of the course we took was called Unified Arts. Each semester, we would take either art, home ec, or shop. Everyone. Boys, girls, whatever.

Home ec was great. I learned to sew and cook when I was 10. At school. This was 1974.

I don't have the recipe book anymore, but one of the things I used to love making at home was Chelsea Buns. Make a dough recipe, let it rise twice, then cut it and roll into little balls that we'd then roll in butter and cinnamon sugar and fill a Bundt pan. Bake and destroy. God, I loved those. Sometimes we'd go crazy and put chopped pecans and maraschino cherry pieces in it too.

Yummy.

Is there anyplace a fella can go to get one of these? I suppose I could make one, but without the Bundt pan, I don't know if it would taste the same.

;)

2014 Nov 17
When I got into grade 7 was when "Home Ec" and "Inustrial Arts" (1 term wood work, 1 term metal work) started in our school. So age 12. That would have been late 70s in small town NS. It was generally speaking boys in Industrial Arts and girls in Home Ec. Though girls were allowed to take Industrial Arts if they asked, boys were not allowed to take Home Ec. I actually wanted to take Home Ec mainly because it was a class full of girls - I wasn't an idiot! And another guy in my class wanted to as well - but we were not allowed to. There were 2 or 3 girls in each grade taking Industrial Arts.

2014 Nov 17
In the late 60s in Nova Scotia, there was no choice. Boys took shop and the girls took home ec. This was before the Women's Movement took hold and the course was designed to start the girls in their role as homemakers. To that end, they would bring food they had prepared across to the boys in shop.

2014 Nov 17
In the late 60sin Nova Scotia, there was no choice. Boys took shop and the girls took home ec. This was before the Women's Movement took hold and the course was designed to start the girls in their role as homemakers. To that end, they would bring food they had prepared across to the boys in shop.

2014 Nov 17
I was in middle school in the mid-80s. We had to take both home ec and shop ("Industrial Arts") in grades 6-8. I liked home ec. I learned how to use a sewing machine, as well as basic cooking and baking skills that I wasn't really learning at home (in the late 70s and 80s, having a working mother tended to mean growing up on TV dinners, canned soup, and other packaged convenience foods).

The Chelsea Buns you described sound similar to what I've seen called "monkey bread" in the US. No idea if there's anywhere to buy it around here.

2014 Nov 17
Grade 7 in the early 2000s, we had a home ec type course for 2/3 of the year. One third was cooking (with really heavy, preservative laden foods), one third was sewing (we did hems and nothing else) and the remaining third was art, I think.

Not great, to be honest. No real cooking, no real sewing.

2014 Nov 17
Another small town Nova Scotia story.

I was in grade 9 in 1976. Industrial Arts was for boys and Home Ec for girls ... until that year.

A small number of girls, with parental support, wanted to take Industrial Arts.

The school board said they could if they found an equal number of boys wanting to take home ec. The reason was the board "needed to maintain the teacher/student ratios". These were not even in the first place and there was speculation that the school board thought that no boy would ever sign up for home ec.

To escape the tyrannical ever-shouting and non-instructing wood working teacher, I and a few other boys opted for home ec. Suprise suprise !

Yes, we did learn to cook a few things and sewed a shirt, but the most fun was had 'racing' the 1940's singer sewing machines and tossing an egg or two into the air and encourage it to fly ... well before this schtick appeared on Mork & Mindy.

www.scifixtreme.com

2014 Nov 18
Rizak, the baked cinnamon timbits dish you're describing is definitely what's known as Monkey Bread (en.wikipedia.org) as strawberrygirl pointed out. traditional Chelsea Buns seem to be more like a cross between cinnamon rolls and pains aux raisins.

I've actually been wanting to make this recipe for a while, but I probably won't do it soon enough to appease your craving: www.artisanbreadinfive.com

I use the "5 minutes a day" artisan bread recipes regularly and with a good amount of success. It's hard to beat excellent bread with such little effort!

P.S. I did take home economics in grade 10. Hated sewing, loved the cooking. Also took two shop courses -- 'industrial education' in grade 8 (power tools, woodwork, metalwork) and wood working in grade 9. Those weren't categorized as home ec though...