It's Quiet Out There [General]

2014 Oct 10
I noticed that the reviews on this site are less frequent than before. My firiends in the hospitality industry in Ottawa are saying that things are very quiet. Are people going out less? If so, why?

2014 Oct 11
Not sure about out there, but it seems to be quiet in here ... at OF.

Fresh Foodie ... What are the stats saying ? Is the rate of reviews down? How about the overall activity in OF? Seems to me postings in the Forums are down, as well.

Not complaining ... just noticing over the past few months.

2014 Oct 11
I have noticed the same thing. I've been out of town for several months but still read this site regularly. When I'm in the city I admit getting into the habit of dining at my favourite restaurants on a regular basis and usually only post one review. So even if I go out a two or three times a week it wouldn't be reflected in the reviews here. I love this site, love reading the reviews and comments and will personally try to post more often.

2014 Oct 11
I've also been out of the country for some time, but I still lurk around the site to look at pictures of poutine and shawarma whenever I get homesick.

2014 Oct 11
Rumour has it, that without the thumbs down, it just isn't the same...Reality TV without a villain just isn't very interesting, now is it!?! *wink*

But I would say that people aren't going out as much as explorers. I think many people, even foodies tend to go to the same 5 (or 10) places all the time. Not many new restaurants to spark much interest. So many new breweries though...too many, possibly.

2014 Oct 11
You take that back Bobby! ... there can never be enough breweries

2014 Oct 11
Haha, I anticipated that. Maybe I should clarify...quality breweries, never enough....too many are brewing just because they can. It's easy to do...do something with a crazy amount of hops or high abv and people will buy...or a creative name. I've sampled a ton of them and am kinda getting tired of people trying to do too much.

2014 Oct 11
Netflix ?

2014 Oct 12
Personally, it is a little because although there are lots of new restaurants, few are great value for money or offer a kind of food I must absolutely try. Most offer variations of hipster chic meals that are good looking and not necessarily very filling and cost a lot of money. Part of my appreciation for food is also the value aspect (perhaps this is just me). Unless one is independently wealthy, choices have to be made about where to spend that food money, and of late, nothing has been very exciting. For example, I prefer spending $15 for a brunch plate that I know is a sure thing (e.g., at Stoneface Dolly's rather than a new spot - in Hintonburg - where I have had small portions and came out still hungry while paying all the same). If iI have the luxury of a dinner date with my husband, we have often opted to go to a safe spot as well. It is only when a friend I know well and whose tastes I can trust that I will be swayed into trying a new spot. And this is not because I am not adventurous food wise but I have spent enough money for ok meals of late.

2014 Oct 12
EXACTLY what RiceLover said. Wages suck, work is long, I'm gonna spend my cash on sure thing versus something new and untried. It doesn't make for frequent reviews.

2014 Oct 12
I also find it difficult to post reviews/pics from my phone....takes a lot more effort for me to e-mail them to myself then download, then write a review and post a pic.

2014 Oct 13
If you think business is slow now, just wait until winter.

2014 Oct 13
We tend to go out for lunch rather than dinner. We seem to be migrating to one of two places - one which is cheap, fast, filling but good (e.g. World Burger) or a place that is more expensive but where you can count on quality (e.g. Juniper, Gezzelig). We tend not to go to those in-between places as the food seems not to be very good for the price paid. If these places can't be bothered to prepare and serve food properly then I can't be bothered going there. It's that simple. If I do end up at one of the in-between places, and have a not so pleasant experience whether it's the food, service, whatever, they don't get a second chance. I was at one of these once and when I mentioned that the meat (pork belly) was tough, they said "too bad". No comp, no offer of a replacement. So in my mind I said, "too bad for you because I won't be back. Ever".

2014 Oct 13
My excuse is lack of money - tuition and two trips this fall have eaten up all my discretionary income. Note to self: spread things out a little next year... I really miss eating out.

2014 Oct 14
There certainly seems to be a glut of overpriced restaurants right now. Many of them are chains, which is of course inexplicable from a foodie perspective.

I see restaurateurs fitting into two loose categories: those aiming for growth and those looking to survive.

Chain restaurants are firmly in the business growth sector. Often their owners don't care about (or eat) the food at all. You will almost always pay too much for the food at these places.

Small, family-run restaurants are firmly in the survival sector. These are the places I love most. Often one generation is in the kitchen and another in the front. The kids might be pitching in, waiting tables or doing homework in the dining room. Food value is at its highest in these restaurants.

Teetering between these two categories are the chef-owned restaurants. The owner genuinely cares about food but is also trying to leverage his/her experience to maximize profits. Here you will pay more, but it will (usually) be worth it.

I'm not a business-minded person, which is why I never tried to monetize this website. Nonprofits are driven by ideology rather than greed, and I think this blesses them with a level of credibility that simply isn't for sale.

Also, I fully share EM's frustration with posting to this site from a phone. I want to improve that. :-)

2014 Oct 14
While I appreciate seasonal menus, it get’s difficult to choose a spot when you have to Google the limited menu selections available. Case in point: Chef’s Signature Pasta – Conchiglioni with Deschenes Farms Coprophilous fungi puree/smoke/horseradish cream pangratta/gremolata romansecu/bacon bourbon reduction/braised, infused and glazed pepitas – Market price. Hmmm, yum, yum who wants some?!?

The battle for the wildest concoctions you have never heard of continues. It gets difficult trying to find another dining companion who is interested in this dish.

2014 Oct 14
I so agree with Boxers. I have an out-of-town friend that comes to Ottawa once a year and we meet up for dinner while she's in town. I like sending her links to restos so she can have a look at the menus and pricing and she can tell me if it's the food she likes and within her price range. When the resto posts convoluted descriptions, or worse still, no menu at all it's kind of hard to tell if that's what she will like. Reviews are somewhat helpful but few of them mention prices and the dish being reviewed might not be on the menu anymore. #endrant

2014 Oct 14
I do want to thank Mark for putting together this site! It is an invaluable resource. I always verify what the reviews are before going to a new place and often reread the reviews to get ideas of what to order!

2014 Oct 15
I can't understand overpriced chains. B Pizza is the worst place I've eaten and expensive too.

2014 Oct 16
Don't overpriced chains like Boston Pizza, Kelsey's, Outback, Montana's, Olive Garden et al have huge advertising and promotional campaigns that convince the masses that they are great places for wonderful 'lifestyle experiences'.

You know the ads .... Food ! Family/Friends ! Fun !

They can suck in the gullible who think they are living high off the hog compared to the usual swill-time they have at Mickey-Dees.

If you think Im being a bit food snobby, ask yourself ... Do you like Red Lobster `For the seafood lover in you`?

2014 Oct 16
I thought it was the large screen TVs . . . but I have one at home, so why would I go there to watch it and eat rubbery food ?

2014 Oct 16
For the seafood lover in you !

Best line (after man finishes his meal) "Now I have to take some pills to counteract what I just ate" Oh boy.
Pic is the scrumptious Admirals Platter at RL.

2014 Oct 17
I dehydrated just looking at that platter.

2014 Oct 21
Not to thread jack, but I have to comment on BP. I went there for the first time a few weeks ago. I actually can't believe it exists. I can't think of any other chain restaurant where I've had such objectively horrible food. I was shocked.

I'm happy enough eating a burger at Kelsey's, some ribs at Montana's, or whatever silly dish they're pushing at Milestone's, but sweet jeebus Boston Pizza is just incomprehensible.

2014 Oct 21
I remember BP having a pretty tasty perogi pizza. If you're forced to go there, and it's still available, give it a shot!

To turn my favourite phrase around... there are no bad restaurants, only bad menu items. haha :)

2015 Jan 7
A week late, but I've decided my New Years resolution is to eat out more and write more reviews, even if it's just to give a bit of love to old favorites.

2015 Jan 8
I'll second Ratty's resolution - I have an entire folder of photos from the past few months of eating out that need a good review to go along with them!