Ottawa Food Truck Rally September 27, 2014 [Events]

2014 Sep 25
Do you like street food? And Ottawa's (relatively) new food trucks? Find all your favourites at this year's Ottawa Food Truck Rally at St. Paul's University: ottawafoodtruckrally.com

2014 Sep 28
So did anyone go?

2014 Sep 28
Interested to know how this went!

2014 Sep 28
I went with my wife as it was only 5 minutes walk from us.

We got there about 6pm and things were in full swing, it was packed! I reckon there was about 15 to 20 trucks there. Streetside Curry & Bontinas Catina consistently had the longest lineups all the time we were there.

Most samplers were $4, and most trucks just had the one item.

There was a pretty good cover band playing everything from The Rolling Stones to Fatboy Slim, and local craft beer was available from Kichesippi (and possibly another brewery as well, but I didn't investigate).

This is what we tried (sorry, no photos).

Streat : Duck Poutine.
People were raving about this on twitter, but I thought it was just ok. Pretty small portion, even for $4 but there wasn't much of a lineup so it helped to fill a hole.

Urban Cowboy : Pulled pork, apple relish & jalepeno cornbread pancake.
I'm normally a huge fan of Urban Cowboy, but this one didn't hit the mark for me. I think it was the apple chutney I wasn't a fan of, but the pork & pancake were nice.

Merry Dairy : Frozen custard in a ginger mollasses biscuit sandwich, half dipped in chocolate.
I didn't try it myself, but my wife had it and said it was excellent. It was pretty huge and looked really good.

Admare Seafood : Fish & Chips
A smaller portion of their staple. Note that the chips are actually shaved, fried beets and sweet potato. The battered fish was a good size considering the $4 price tag. They were super efficient as well, no lineup since they had the samples ready. I thought this was the best value of the night.

Streetside Curry : Butter chicken & potato/spinach curry on rice in a mini naan bowl.
We saved this until last since they had such a huge lineup, so we fed ourselves at the other trucks before heading for the line. When we eventually got to the front I could see why the line was so long - they were painfully slow and inefficient at making up the samples. Maybe it was a ploy to give them time to prep more curry in the background. Anyway the guys were super smiley and happy, and the food was very tasty.

All in all an enjoyable evening (the weather was beautiful). Despite all those trucks, there wasn't as much variety as I'd expected. There were about 3 trucks serving poutine, one doing nachos and one other doing gyros, which I could get at anytime. So although I only tried 4 trucks myself, I didn't feel I'd missed out on anything I wanted to try.

Cheers,
Ratty