Heirloom Tomatoes [General]

2014 Sep 21
Looking for some heirloom tomatoes. My crop was an epic fail but the craving is strong.. Anyone in the east end sell them? Byward Market? I am avoiding Army Run downtown today or else I would have gone to Brewers.

2014 Sep 21
I'm glad I'm not the only one who seemed to have a complete failure when it came to tomatoes this year. I've got about 20 still green on the vine. Guess I'm making chow.

I've seen them fairly recently at the organic farmer's market at Bank and Heron. It's not east (okay it's actually south), but it does avoid all the hullaballoo downtown today.

2014 Sep 21
I'm making green tomato mincemeat again because last time I had a lot of green tomatoes I made mincemeat with them for the first time and it was so delicious it turned me into a mincemeat lover, now on par with my dw. I use them plus tomatillo and apples - got 16 quarts boiling it all down right now.
No chow for me, can't eat that much of it. And dw's side of family all love mincemeat.
Tomato crop was reasonable for me; it was the peppers that were an epic fail, worst I've ever had. Almost no hot peppers, thankfully I have some dried from the past 2 years.
I wish I had tomatoes to give away.

2014 Sep 21
Andy, I wish you had some to give away too!:)

2014 Sep 21
Man you folks should have posted this a week ago! My neighbor grew nothing but them and was overloaded. With the frost we got everything was killed off.

2014 Sep 21
Do you have a mincemeat recipe for us?

Basically everything failed for me this year. Cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes...it was a rough year for me.

2014 Sep 21
Mincemeat recipe 4 u: allrecipes.com
We made a half recipe in what I think is a 12 qt stockpot and got about 7-1/3 L. Subbed butter for suet.