Tuesday late dinner/drinks? [General]

2014 Sep 16
OK I know this is last minute, but I have a very good friend who is flying in from Napa Valley today, he lands at 7pm (Cali is 3 hours behind so it will feel more like 4pm for him). By time he clears customs and we get to my place it will be at least 8 pm. I live in Center town, think bank and laurier area. He is a total foodie with high tastes.

He has passed up trips to Ottawa before assuming its boring here so I want to show off some of our best. I have lots that I already want to show him, but tonight I think we will want something withing walking distance (elgin-wellington-bronson-gladstone) for around 9pm (yes that late) for drinks (caesars are a must) and light dinner or sharing plates/appetizers that will wow him.

I am considering moonroom but it's a 30 minute walk....thoughts?

Other suggestions?

I don't want to venture to the market as tomorrow we are doing that.

China town in another option, but I really want place that has good caesars.

Please any suggestions are helpful! $ are no limit.

Thanks fellow foodies!

Em

2014 Sep 16
I can't think of a better place for a great cocktail than El Camino. Their bartender is simply amazing. Food is pretty good too if into tacos. The ox tongue taco is pretty darn good!

Union 613 has great drinks too.

Beckta will be $$$$ but guaranteed to be a great dinner.

Town and Whalesbone have great food, IMHO.

Oz Cafê is usually good too.

2014 Sep 16
We've been to the Whalesbone mid-week for a late dinner and it was surprisingly full. That or Union 613 would be a good choice for Centretown. Both close at 10 pm, so if his plane is late you might be stuck at the window at El Camino or out for a shawarma! Can't speak to the ceasar quality for either.

2014 Sep 16
Perhaps I am not the best candidate to answer this question since I don't like caesars but I do drink on occasion and I like to eat.

As for wine the only places that come to the top of my head are Must (good food and decent wine selection) and Vineyards (solid wine selection but lacklustre food) but they are in the market.

Would your friend be interested in sampling some Canadian beer? I could recommend The Manx or the Clocktower (Glebe location if you want to avoid the market). (Chez Lucien and The Black Tomato also have good food and drink but they are in the market...)

2014 Sep 16
In Chinatown all i can think of is Shanghai. They do great cocktails but i'm not a Cesar fan so i can't speak to that.

Moonroom is great for drinks but i can't say the food hits 'wow' level, esp if your friend is from Napa.

Camino... brilliant on every point, so much so that i wouldn't bet on getting a seat, even on Tuesday.

Frankly Union 613 would be my pick from the upthread suggestions.

2014 Sep 16
The pizza is, well, pizza at Slice and Co but I've heard from many that their Caesar is the best in town. If you bundle up you could sit on the patio too... I would take others' advice and head for El Camino but have this Caesar while you wait for your table across the street. Done.

2014 Sep 16
One of the best caesars I've had recently was a "brutus" at the Albion Rooms at the Novotel Hotel, although it's on the edge of the market so might not work for you. They also have a great selection of small plates to choose from. Being in a hotel, it might be open late as well.

Two other suggestions on Preston are Two-Six-Eight (really well prepared, delicious small plates though I haven't had their caesars) and MeNa, first-rate food, beautifully presented and great cocktails from Sam (again, haven't tried the caesar). Two-six-ate's kitchen is open late, but may not be open Tuesdays.

2014 Sep 17
Thank you everyone!

I considered all suggestions it was between El Camino and Moonroom, I offered my friend fro Napa the 2 choices while he smoked a Cuban cigar on my balcony, he opted for Moonroom.

GREAT choice! He asked me to start ordering while he went to the restroom so I ordered him the drink in the picture :) nice manly drink :)

I got him hooked on caesars.

I think we tried all the sharing plates at the moonroom the seafood with cheese sounded weird but tasted great, the dates stuffed with cheese were awesome (tip: order way more than you think you want). Music was loud but good, service was attentive, bill was pricey but reasonable.

Thanks again everyone for helping out!

em