Al Fresco Market Eating [General]

2014 Sep 4
I have been very fortunate in the last year or so to have done some travelling. Invariably, I am drawn to places that serve great food in the great outdoors. These are not necessarily farmers' markets but fresh farmers's products are available along with an assortment of cooked and locally produced food.

Here they are:

Prague: Old Town Square had great Prague Ham and sausages
Munich: the English Gardens had excellent smoked fish, pretzels. Pork knee and litre steins of beer
Broadway Market London: braised Ox cheek, mushroom risotto, and the amazing Tunworth cheese
Borough Market London: scotch eggs ( pork and black pudding and chorizo), Catalan stew, pork sausage on a bun, and salt beef sandwiches
Love Food Market on the south bank London: lamb wrap and pierogies.

Never enough time...

I couldn't help but note that each and everyone of these great food spots were in complete violation of Ottawa and Ontario's rules on food handling, smoking and liquor consumption. They were also packed with people having a great time.

On a bit of a side note; if you are flying out of Terminal 2 Heathrow, check out the Perfectionists' Cafe. It's Heston Blumenthal's restaurant where he makes everything you know even better. Makes me think of our own Steve Mitton at Murray Street. I had the full English Breakfast and it was the best I ever had. Ottawa International Airport's Cara offerings don't make me want to show up early for my flight.

2014 Sep 5
and your point is?

2014 Sep 5
Point is we are pretty uptight in Ottawa/Ontario.

Though I am happy to have a smoke free environment.

I doubt some of the places mentioned have insufficient food handling practices to prevent illness. Just different than ours.

2014 Sep 6
Hey, where did my 'thumbs down' or 'broken heart' button go?

Spuds - not a very friendly post.

Krusty's 'hearts' are essentially thumbs down for Spuds....IMO.

2014 Sep 7
We took a walk around the new Lansdowne recently. There are large open squares there next to the Aberdeen Pavillion and thought that they would be ideal for open air eating and drinking on a summer evening.

2014 Sep 8
Bobby Fillet, no unfriendly-ness meant by my post...I was just curious about the statement "I couldn't help..." that's all. I actually agree with Tree Pug's comment and Krusty's...Ottawa/Ontario is uptight...look at the liquor laws, etc.
Food safety is important. However, Ottawa's is sometimes baffling and inconsistent.
Inkling, if the area you are referring to is to the north (I think?) that's where the new farmers' market is going to be.