Ottawa Wine and Food Show? [General]

2007 Nov 1
hi all,

Just wondering whether any of our venerable Foodies can share their impressions on the Annual Wine and Food Show?

As a reference, was it comparable with the rendez vous des saveurs event a month or so ago? Were there interesting veggie options (in past events)? How extensive were the beer (and wine) options?

And recognizing this question has a bit of "how long is a piece of string" essence, is it possible to ballpark what a "night out" of sampling (wine, beer and food) might cost here? Feel free to project on the basis of your own appetite (and thirst).

cheers,
IF

2007 Nov 1
I have mixed feeling about the Ottawa food & wine show. There usually are many great wineries that attend and bring some great stuff so in that respect it is great.
BUT...there is also 'hard alcohol', so shots become the main event in the evening with the younger crowd. I recommend avoiding Friday or Saturday evening because it turns into a giant 'high school bar'. Drunk people doing shots and slobbering all over you when you are trying to taste a great wine, not fun. As a result of the inappropriate behaviours of many in the evening most restaurants that pride themselves on their food do not have booths at this event as most people go for pasta type products to try to soak up all the shots they have had as well as the fact that they just don't want to be apart of something so unsophisticated.
After saying all of this, I will be attending on Sat. afternoon because there will be a lot of great wines. As far as the food goes plan to eat before or after as there are usually slim pickings.
Costs, I would say budget anywhere from $50-$100 depending on how much you plan on tasting and of what calibre.
Happy tasting:)

2007 Nov 1
MyMom'saFoodie, I feel the exact same way, it gets really crowded on the evenings, and just takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it for my wife and I. We're also planning to go Saturday afternoon, before the bar scene kicks in. I'd also agree that $50-100 is a good range to hit some nice wines of different calibers.

2007 Nov 1
Even showing up on Saturday afternoon won't necessarily help too much. The popularity of the event has gotten so out of hand that I know several people that are planning on showing up at noon on Saturday just to ensure that they're not stuck in an hour (or two) long lineup. While I haven't tried it myself, I've heard that the Sunday session is the nicest time to go if you want to try out the wines without being surrounded by a well-dressed mob.

I've also found that in the past there are usually a couple of interesting food options. It's certainly limited, but if you look around you might find something worthwhile.

2007 Nov 1
I just picked up a couple of tickets and will be there Saturday afternoon with my girlfriend. If you take it for what it is (as described above) and keep your expectations low you'll have a good time. But if you're really not a party person then I would advise waiting for something more low key. Lucky for me I don't mind slumming it when the occasion warrants. ;)

2007 Nov 1
This is great feedback, thanks!

2007 Nov 3
Anyone know if you can get tickets at the door or do you have to go through ticketmaster? Kinda thinking of doing this last minute tomorrow but don't want to go and pick up tickets.

2007 Nov 5
Had a decent time at the festival on Saturday. Nothing has changed that would contradict any of the comments above. It's really not about the food, or the wine either, it's about prom night!! ;)

For the record, we arrived around 2pm and had a short 20 minute wait in line -- I didn't get in at all last year so I won't complain about 20 minutes. Once inside lineups weren't too bad although it was a bit of a crush making our way through the maze of booths. There were enough pockets of space to relax once we'd grabbed some food and drink though. It's puzzling that so many women continue to dress to kill when the worst possible thing you can wear in an environment like that is a pair of heels. The perfect attire would be t-shirt, shorts and flip flops!

Hmm, haven't said much about the food or drink yet. It was adequate. This is really a people watching event more than anything else.

Interesting to note that Restaurant Thing had a booth.

2007 Nov 8
I had a bad time this year. I think that the quality was lower than last edition. The show was mediocre. The 2007 theme was France(very few French exibitors). The show saloon was very dirty this year(forks, dishes, glasses, etc. etc.). Food was mediocre, as well as seminars.

I heard that it was the last Wine and Food Show at the Rideau Exibition Center.

2007 Nov 15
Never again, went 3 years ago, what a farse. Should have been held in the
cattle castle, more animal sounds, grunts, groans, and cat calls than the James Bond affair that I was expecting.

However, it was maybe 4 years ago I went to the Valentines Chocolate Convention at the Cattle Castle and it was a smash. The Cordon Bleu Chefs where everywhere and they fed us enough tryptophan that we sang Lucy in the Sky all the way home.

It was a happy happy day!!!