Pickling Green (Pole) Beans [General]

2014 Aug 25
I have landed on a huge pile of homegrown pole beans. It wasn't my choice to plant them and by the time I harvested them they were on the over grown/ripe side. This leaves me with the idea that the best thing to do with them is pill them (I have about 2 grocery bags of them and may end up with more).

I washed and cooked briefly (blanched/parboiled) the batch. Does anyone have experience/ideas on what to do/add and what not to do/add?

Unfortunately, as much as I *love* spicy food, I have a very low tolerance so I won't be putting in too many red peppers as much as I would love to ...

Very good year for the garden, overall except for the very warm weather 2+ weeks ago that dried out my zuchini and cumcumber plants tremendously.

2014 Aug 25
flexie I know you specifically asked for pickling recipes but if you have already blanched those beans you can toss them in the freezer just like that. They'd make a really good vegetable barley soup this fall...

2014 Aug 25
1tbsp salt per liter volume (coarse pickling salt), pack in the beans, add liquid to cover, add a tbsp of live yoghurt. Put cling wrap over the top and secure with rubber bands. You can put that in a plastic kitchen catcher bag, and that in a brown grocery store paper bag. You can get 4l anchor hocking jars at WalMart for $10.

2014 Aug 25
My grandfather used the linked recipe, with a pinch of cayenne pepper instead of the hot pepper flakes. Addictive.

nchfp.uga.edu

2014 Aug 25
Thanks Lady Ilsebet - the reason I want to pickle them is that they are not all that tasty on their own. I did leave some in the pot a bit longer than just blanching. The beans were overgrown/ripe measuring on average 5 inches or longer - as I said, good growing season, person who planted them was on holiday and let them overgrow and I suppose I hate to waste the work of our labour ...

On another note, the superstore in Westboro (Richmond Road) has received very large boxes (a bushel or half bushel boxes?) of roma tomatos - they are selling them for something like $6.98. Couldn't resist though the weather is really too nice to spend large amounts of time in a hot kitchen ...

2014 Aug 26
flexie Wow that's cheap! I will be in Westboro for a doctors appointment next Wednesday but the sale will probably be over by then... There's nothing like homemade tomato sauce!