Buns for pulled pork sandwiches [General]

2014 Aug 5
The mister made a big batch of pulled pork for a party this week. He was considering just using plain old boring white hamburger buns. It might actually be the best choice but I was wondering what you thought. I was considering the Rideau Bakery Kaiser bun but I am wondering if that is too much bread. What say you pulled pork experts. I rarely eat it when I am out and about so can't help him. Anyone remember what Trailer Pork Boys used?

2014 Aug 6
I've only had it once, but the best pulled pork sandwich I've ever had used homemade pretzel buns.

2014 Aug 6
I really like the sesame egg-bread kaisers from the kosher section at the College Square loblaws. Substantial, yet soft. Lots of gluten in those. They really hold together. There is a slight nuttiness and sweetness in the dough.

2014 Aug 6
If you want to be a traditionalist, white bread - yes wonder bread. Or plain hamburger buns. The buns/bread are merely there to get the pork to your mouth, minus utensils. My personal favorite are home made buns, but they are pretty plain too. (ie. a nice soft bun)

But hey if you like something else - just do it.

2014 Aug 6
Some of the best pulled pork I've ever had was served in little white oval/rectangular dinner rolls like you can get by the two-dozen sack at large grocery stores, so I'm with sourdough on this one. Soft, absorbent, never competing with the pork and slaw inside.

2014 Aug 6
I too like the soft bun option - it's great for mopping up the sauce with. Less utensils = less dishes to wash! (I don't have a dishwasher so these things are important to me-;) Rideau Bakery is my go-to place for bread these days but the Portuguese Bakery on Nelson Street makes some nice buns that would go well with pulled pork

2014 Aug 6
This kind of thing is what I was talking about, in case anyone's never had them (they're a Christmas dinner staple in my family, warmed up), maybe they only do the 24-pack at holiday seasons.

2014 Aug 9
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I happened to be near Blue Heron Mall and stopped into Ichiban Bakery. Their Butter Buns were a nice size and texture. I went with them and the mister was quite pleased. They were 70 cents each. So a treat for sure but they worked perfectly.

2014 Aug 9
They look good Food is Fun.

I'm sure they're waaayyyy better than those small factory foam units.