Sanjay Gupta and raw animal penis [General]

2007 Nov 1
This is not a joke, nor am I trying to do anything in bad taste (just wanted to be clear given the subject title).

I was watching the Colbert Report tonight on my PVR (I am not sure which night/episode it was as my gf started it before I got into the room). Anyway, during the show Colbert played a clip of Sanjay Gupta (the Health reporter/doctor at CNN) that had what looked like platter of sushi. In the clip he named a few of the meats on the platter that were there and they were animal penises.... I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!

One can see why Colbert would use this to make light of the whole piece. I am an adventurous eater and was curious. Did anyone see the actual story on CNN who could fill us in a bit more and does anyone know about animal penises as food?

Cheers

2007 Nov 1

I saw the clip too and was curious. I could only find the CNN transcript. The episode was aired Oct 23rd. The animal penises among other animal parts were featured because most were endangered species contributing to the illegal animal trade. Here is the link to the transcript website, it's about 3/4 of the way down the page.

transcripts.cnn.com

2007 Nov 1
Yes, a lot of people in the world believe there are special powers you get from eating them. Like making you more potent in bed and so forth.

2007 Nov 2
Thanks for the info.... as I say I am adventurous but I must confess, I don't want or need to eat endangered animals..... was not aware that this was a problem.....

When reading the above posts I immediately thought of the movie the Freshman starring Marlon Brando and Matthew Broderick in which people paid insane amounts of money to eat an endangered animal but it I remember correctly, turns out they were pulling a fast one on the people!

Cheers