{segue} [General]

2014 Jul 30
Anyone been yet? Not seeing any reviews.

I am noticing it has been a quiet 2014 for new openings.....

2014 Jul 30
Been where?

2014 Jul 30
{segue} in the glebe.

2014 Jul 30
It's where Fratelli's used to be.

2014 Jul 30
Had a brilliant dinner there last night. Really great food and they have cleaned the place up nicely in a very short time. Wonderful wine list, great prices and the staff are all very kind. Highly recommended.

2014 Jul 30
???

2014 Aug 1
So if stevebecktas restaurant is very near to the top of my all time restaurant experiences and he's personally recommending it, I'll try to make a reservation here for my fifth wedding anniversary in a few weeks :)

2014 Aug 26
I would recommend this restaurant to anyone heading towards downtown of Ottawa.

The food was fabulous, the atmosphere was warm and the servers were great. The owners would change their menu based on the season because I missed their ribs when I went back the second time. I tried the fried chicken with cauliflower puree - awesome fried chicken with the crunch and the drumstick was flowing with flavour. Followed by the main dish - seared scallops with pork belly mixed with varieties of vegetables. For dessert - chocolate stout cake and gelato. My second trip, I had seared tuna, and roasted duck breast. Overall, delicious :-)

The restaurant has a Fraser Cafe's atmosphere but what differs from Fraser Cafe is the location. After I finished the dinner, I was able to walk off the dinner by walking down on Bank Street by window shopping and it's in the Glebe area. The restaurant is closed to downtown core of Ottawa in which you can take a bus or walk towards the Byward Market. The price range from medium to high, and it's not your average bar scene nor fast food restaurant.

The restaurant will close during the winter for renovation with a brand new name coming next year.

At this moment, they are serving brunch!

2014 Sep 17
Ate there just a few days ago. The ingredients may look 'ordinary', but let me be really clear - YOU CAN NOT COOK LIKE THAT AT HOME. In fact, there are few restaurants IMHO, that can cook like that at all! One of the most delicious and perfectly cooked meals that I have had in a while.

While waiting for our meal, I enjoyed one of their signature cocktails called 'The Bees Knees'. Indeed, it was as the name implied.

I started with the pork belly, which I am still dreaming about. Five generous slices of exceptionally marbled meat with a crisp outer coating and melt in your mouth interior, sitting in a delicous bath of hot broth. A perfectly poached egg meant to be broken into the broth was a delightful addition. Lion's mane mushrooms were carefully nestled between the egg and the pork. A flavourful, but not overpowering thick black pepper sauce topped off the pork.

I followed with the trout. Served on a kholrabi pancake topped with braised swiss chard and a few broccoli florets, the tender fish was served with its lovely and crispy skin, up. A tangy herb sauce on top of the skin was crowned with king eryngi mushrooms.

A bottle of Sancerre did an excellent job pairing with these two dishes. Although the wine list at Segue is not vast, it is thoughfully considered, and reasonably priced.

I opted to finish my meal with a nice fruity and buttery glass of framboise. The night was a bit cool for gelato, and the only other desert options on the menu had gluten in them, which I regrettably need to avoid. Still, as our friendly and funny server poitned out - it was desert in a glass. I have to agree, it was almost like having a glass of toast with raspberry jam!

With the excellent food and service, I am looking forward to going back to Segue again soon!