Garlic 2014 [General]

2014 Jul 21
Georgian Crystal harvested today - it's always the first to sprout and the first to harvest. I only planted 24 cloves of it last fall and harvested 24 bulbs including a very small 2 clove bulb which must have been disturbed after planting because it was on it's side (hence the curving stock) and was near the surface - coulda been our cat or the chipmunks or the skunks or the... My Georgian Crystal usually has only 4 cloves per bulb and is a smallish bulb with big cloves. It doesn't store as long as the Russian Red, likely the last strain I'll harvest. Music looks like it'll be the next garlic to harvest here.

FYI you can likely still order some of this summer's harvest of local organic garlic so you don't miss out on it: Dave Cornell at Ashton Garlic has an ad in "The Garlic News) - he grows "19 strains that score at least 3.5 on a 1-5 heat tasting scale." He says to order by July and to contact him at 613-257-4688 or email at ashtonstationgarlic@gmail.com

Edit: oops, forgot I was going to post a link to a good story about Dave and Ashton Station Garlic written last summer: www.ottawacommunitynews.com

2014 Aug 11
FYI the Silver Spring Farm annual garlic fundraiser is already underway.

2014 Aug 14
Silver Spring Farm started selling their garlic today. They are open from 9:30 to 6 pm. Usually the garlic sells out in under 2 weeks. Here is their hotline if you want to call to be sure they are open in the days ahead. 613-569-8993 x. 409.