Cherries [Food/Vendor]

2014 Jul 15
(is it just me or are cherries great this year and cheap! Anyone have a source for sour cherries fresh?)

(ps: to be sung to the tune of Journey's Oh Sherrie)

You should've been gone
Knowing how you made me feel
And I should've been full
After all your pits of steel
Oh, I must've been a dreamer
And I must've been someone else
And we should've been over

Oh, Cherry, our love
Holds on, holds on
Oh, Cherry, our love
Holds on, holds on

Oh, I want to let go
You'll go on hurtin' me
You'd be better off alone
If I'm not who you thought I'd be

But you know that there's a fever
Oh, that you'll never find nowhere else
Can't you feel it burnin'
On-and-on

Oh, Cherry, our love
Holds on, holds on
Oh, Cherry, our love
Holds on, holds on
Oh, Cherry

But I should've been full
Long ago, far away
And you should've been full
Now I know you'd lie
You'll stay

Oh, Cherry, our love
Holds on, holds on
Oh, Cherry, our love
Holds on, holds on

Oh, Cherry, our love
Holds on, holds on

Hold on
Oh, Cherry

2014 Jul 16
I have a tree that bears sour cherries, but I always eat them before I get to the front door.

2014 Jul 18
Three words regarding this years Cherries & their respective prices: Gee Emm Ohh

2014 Jul 19
And here I thought it was all the good weather out there on the left coast responsible for the (near) record crop. www.bizjournals.com

Having just finished a bowl of really good cherries and roasted a large pan full of them for some chocolate cherry shortcakes(www.anastasiastable.com) I would like to think it's the weather that has allowed us to enjoy such a large and good cherry crop this year.

2014 Jul 19
FM who told you ppl are growing gmo cherries?

2014 Jul 31
Why do you say the cherries are GMO?

2014 Jul 31
Whoops My Apologies - Sorry for Spreading terrible rumours!

after further review it looks like I was reading some info from 1998... slightly out of date!

Enjoy all the Cherries! I know I am - Especially the Raniers

(Just make sure you contiunue to wash them well ;) )

2014 Jul 31
Squirrels ate most of my cherries . . . :-(

2014 Jul 31
Our squirrels, chipmunks and birds didn't get any cherries this year, and neither did we. Our sour cherry tree died this winter/spring. =:0(

FoodMonger, glad to see this cleared up, especially after all the cherries I've eaten this year!

The roasted cherries were real good spooned on top of maple oat scones with a dollop of vanilla Greek yogurt on top, especially good for breakfast.

2014 Jul 31
Do you know it's illegal to kill squirrels ? They have eaten most of my friend's garden. He says he hates squirrels.

People have been catching them and releasing them in Quebec . . .

Perhaps the ones that ate my cherries were from Ontario !

news.nationalpost.com

2014 Aug 1
Not sure where you heard that stuff about it being illegal to kill squirrels.

Small Game season for them varies depending on the WMU but generally is between Sep and Dec. Daily limit is 10 for most areas.

You can't however kill and just leave them - that would be wasting the harvest.

2014 Aug 1
You can eat them ? I will let my friend with the garden know :-)

2014 Aug 1
Sure can and the tails are used in tying fishing fly's (often dyed) enabling you to get more food to eat.

(U...might be detecting a trend in my hobbies / pastimes)

2014 Aug 1
I have a 1970s edition of The Joy of Cooking that includes a section on how to properly skin a squirrel and prep it for cooking. I can't say I've tested it out. Apparently the grey ones are preferable to red. It also has instructions for opossum, raccoon and muskrat.

2014 Aug 2
Actually this isn't the first time my friend has had problems with small mammals in his garden. When he was in Orleans, he had a problem with a rabbit. He hated the rabbit and it was eating through everything.

I lent him a live trap. He was pretty happy and said he was looking forward to wild rabbit stew. The rabbit was fatted on his organic vegetables anyway . . .

So the trap worked the first or second night he set it out . . . but did he eat the rabbit? Sheepishly, he admitted when the time came to dispatch the thing he couldn't bring himself to do it, so he drove to a park and let the rabbit go.

2014 Aug 2
Catching and releasing squirrels is not a solution as other squirrels just move in and take their place. The SPCA recommended super soaker and vigilance will help keep these voracious tree pugs away.

2014 Aug 2
This spring when I biked to work on Baseline through the Experimental Farm, and all along the route really, I saw rabbits. I don't know if they have always been there, or if their population is exploding. They are cute, and they don't eat cherries.