New Videos For Local Ottawa Restaurants [General]

2014 Jul 10
Hi Foodies!

My name is Stayci Keetch and I am looking for your opinions. I am starting a new website called Eyes On Ottawa. We specialize in producing broadcast quality 1-2 minute videos for local Ottawa business owners without breaking the bank.
The web site itself, currently under construction, is based on the local communities of Ottawa. We are only offering our service to Ottawa entrepreneurs, no chains or franchises. Even the music we use in our videos features Ottawa talent.

I created this site in the hopes that if people could see where their hard earned money would be going back into the local economy, they might spend Local.

We did our first video for Canvas Resto-bar, take a look here youtu.be/dcF0owjwrRI. in addition to the "main" video we will be featuring seasonal features/ menus/ updates.

I would like to know what you think.
Would Having a set of videos to watch about local restaurants influence where you go?
Remind you of a place you want to go back to?
Give you that extra push to try a place that's new?

Many owners are telling me their food speaks for it's self, and I don't disagree. But I think tools like this help customers in a saturated market, when disposable cash is low.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
Stayci

2014 Jul 10
Link does not work Stayci

2014 Jul 10
Opus Sorry! I added a period to close to the link. Thank you for letting me know. Here you go!

youtu.be/dcF0owjwrRI

2014 Jul 10
Use the link, but delete the final period and it runs fine.

I watched it, found it very touristy in look and feel. It was very polished and professional looking, but cold and serious. Maybe because it was all voice over and no actual interview/interactions? I am not familiar with Canvas Resto-bar, and I'm still not sure if I learned anything about the actual food they serve, so I don't know if I would go there.

- I'd prefer to see some video of the restaurant during actual dining times, to get a sense of liveliness (or quiteness) of it.
- Intersperse voice over with actual sounds and talking in the restaurant
- I'd like to hear about the actual food they make with details. Now I have to go and find a menu for them and read the menu. The close-ups of the food in the video could explain what it is - that would get me interested in trying it. I don't actually know what one of the dishes was that was displayed (red, sweaty thing, with white on top?)..

Your type service could get me interested in trying a place, especially if I could see it in full swing.

2014 Jul 10
Thanks HipFunkyFun.

My Biggest challenge was getting even that much information included in just over a minute. The first cut was longer and I find anything over 1:20 people lose interest.

Would text over the dishes saying what they are be of added value?
"Lobster Poutine -Wedge Fries, Creamy Lobster Gravy"
"Housemade Pasta stuffed with Tomato Confit, Fresh Herbs & Goat's Cheese"

I understand about wanting to see it more lively. I hope to get there.

2014 Jul 10
I think text over the dishes would be a start, but a description - even in voice over - describing one dish in more detail would be better. Tell people why food is special, then have pictures of other food items. A good, verbal description of a dish can get one excited to try it, just reading the text loses the passion behind it.

For a restaurant, I care more about the food, then where the staff live. For other businesses, I'd care about where the products are from, why they sell what they do and what makes them special. For a service, I'd care about what sets them apart.

2014 Jul 10
Just FYI you can embed videos in this site by using the regular long link instead of the belgian one

2014 Jul 18
So basically ... commercials.

Very nice commercials if the Canvas one is indicative, but what I'm missing is how this is different from the things we ffwd on the DVR? What's your site going to offer me for my eyeball time?

Is the value added in the local focus? ...this site or tripadvisor or whatever will tell me what people think of a restaurant. Your concept seems like it would let a possible customer see inside the place, see the food, but many restaurant sites already do that. I like that it's the manager talking in the vo, but obviously he's selling his place, albeit with a community angle that was a nice touch.