Rise of cider . . . [General]

2014 Jul 1
time.com

"Interest in cider has piggybacked on both the craft beer and foodie trends, in which a sizeable swath of consumers devotes a considerable amount of time, effort, and dollars to regularly seeking out new, interesting, typically local flavors. The popularity of cider in the U.S. also follows in the footsteps of the market in Europe. A little less than a decade ago, cider “suddenly became the most fashionable drink in England,” Ed Gibson, an Englishman who now runs Austin Eastciders in Texas, recalled to the Fort Worth Star Telegram."

Apparently there is a huge shortage of cider apples now.

online.wsj.com

There is a cidery in Quebec that's making cider from pink apples.

www.micheljodoin.ca

I must get around to trying some.

I had a lot of cider on vacations in Bretange, France. Goes well with crepes :-)

I had a cider here (bought at Loblaws on the Quebec side), once, but it was so inferior to the ciders I had in Bretange it put me off it. I'll have to try a good bottle.

2014 Jul 1
Mystique is a nice cider, only available in Quebec though.Drats!

2014 Jul 1
There are lots of good ciders out there like Pommies, Sprit Tree, and Mystique. Unfortunately there are a lot of bad ones as well like Somersby, Strongbow, and Keith's (to name a few). As is the case with food, try local (hello Waupoos) and read the label for ingredients. Avoid the big corporate "liquids" and look for a cider that uses an apple that you suits your palate (I prefer Granny Smiths to Macintosh). I love cider!

2014 Jul 1
Man cider has to be one of the easiest things to make! There is an orchard in Kanata that sells a 23L carboy for about $30 IIRC for late pressing fresh cider. Pitch yeast and wait. Runs you about $0.60 a regular sized bottle :)

2014 Jul 1
"Man cider has to be one of the easiest things to make!"

I do not want Man Cider, but thanks anyways. :)

2014 Jul 2
I, for one, welcome our new cider-making overlords.

2014 Jul 7
"I am a cider drinker, I drinks it all of the day, ooh arrr do arr eh, ooh arr do arr eh" - or something like that, childhood memories from living in England around 1976 - very popular song for a very popular drink. Probably made "top of the pops" back then.

2014 Jul 7
That would be The Wurzels, and they definitely made it to Top Of The Pops.

2014 Jul 7
Man, one year in England as a youth will do strange things to your psyche. I can totally see Mike Meyers singing along or performing on SNL. Thanks for posting.

2014 Jul 7
Here is a more updated Scottish Pirate Metal version.

2014 Jul 7
O man, just chillin here with a lovely Abel Turcault Scottish Ale listening to Alestorm's "I Am A Cider Drinker"...
Thinking just how weird is all this...but then you gotta love Scottish metal!
Maybe I should just go pop on a Bay City Rollers lp and party on...aye!

2014 Jul 7
I absolutely LOVE cider. Would have started making it myself years ago, but the wee ones in our house also have a taste for it. ;-)

Must also say, I totally remember hearing that song when I was a kid living in the UK in the 70's. Hearing it again, I am reminded of it of it's awesomeness. This song must become my farms theme song. It must.

2014 Jul 7
That song explains me seeing smoker guy dancing down the road singing that earlier this eve.

2014 Jul 7
I believe we have a new OF secret password/song. Keep your ears open at local establishments/homes/farms everywhere.

I like the Alestom version better than the original, wonder if the pogues ever did a cover?

2014 Jul 8
One of the guys in my woodworking association is a bit of a mad tinkerer (retired engineer) who loves to make stuff. Here is a link to his YouTube channel and a selection of videos showing how he built and uses an apple grinder for making cider.

www.youtube.com

2014 Jul 8
How did I know that was going to point to Matthias? :-) He's a friend of mine and helps us every year with Cub Cars. I am not a wood worker but I love watching his videos for some of the crazy contraptions he comes up with!

woodgears.ca/toys/cubcars.html

2014 Jul 8
Is it easy to make ? The operations I saw in Bretange had a lot of equipment. They made sparkling cider - so fermentation under pressure in sealed bottles.