two recipe requests [Recipes]

2007 Oct 30
1 - This weekend I brought in all the tomatoes on my plants that haven't turned yet. I've been searching on line for a recipe to use them up but I'm not happy with what I'm finding. I want a savory vegetarian dish that is NOT fried tomatoes and not some kind of pickle or chutney. Any ideas?

2- I'm in love with the crunchy crusty seedy grainy walnut bread I've been having (from Farm Boy and Art-Is-In) and want to make some at home (costs less) but can't find a good recipe. Interested in reading your ideas!

2007 Oct 30
Well I can't help with the bread option but when I have a large amount of tomatoes to use up I make tomato sauce... I just blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for a few seconds then peel and seed them. I chop up the flesh and stirfry in a little olive oil with LOTS of garlic and a herb of some sort - usually basil or oregano but you can pretty well use anything. I just leave it simmering away in the pot on low for a good half hour or so until the sauce thickens. It freezes well and can be used as a pizza or pasta sauce. You can also make ratatouile, minestrone or a bean stew. If any of these interest you I can send along some recipes...

2007 Oct 30
Here the pasta sauce I made up a few weeks ago - cut-and-paste from a post I made elsewhere :

I spent most of Sunday whipping up a batch of Pasta Sauce. Picked up the tomatoes around 10 am and spent the rest of the day on it til 9pm when the jars went into the pressure canner. It turned out extremely well! Even my very picky son said he likes it better than the store-bought stuff!

# 40 lbs roma tomatoes
# 1.5 cups finely chopped cilantro
# 2 cups chopped onion
# 2 cups chopped green pepper
# 680g sliced mushroom (9 cups)
# 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
# 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
# 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
# 3 tablespoons dried oregeno
# 6 teaspoons salt (non-iodized)
# 3 teaspoons pepper

First you have to peel the tomatoes, which involves immersing them into boiling water for about a minute to loosen the skins. You put about a dozen into a pot of boiling water, then fish them out with a slotted spoon and put them into a big bowl of cold water to cool them. Slice each one in half along its equator and with your finger scoop out the seeds and water inside, and discard. Slice it into your pot waiting on the stove (not on yet).

This will take you a few hours.

I filled my 11 litre pot and still had maybe 40% of the tomatoes left to skin, so I brought it to the boil then transferred the 11 litres of cooked tomatoes into one of my 20 litre food grade brewing buckets. The bucket will take the heat no problem - in fact with an immersion heater you can boil water in there. I transferred a bit at a time, actually - passing 2 litres at a time through my kitchen blender. I didn't have a hand blender unfortunately - that would have been better as I could have done it right in the pot. So I bought one last night for next time. I then skinned the rest of the tomatoes into the pot. When that was done I passed it all through the blender and into the 20 litre bucket with the rest of it.

The cilantro, oregano, salt, pepper and brown sugar went right into the bucket. The veggies got fried until tender in a large skillet, then added to the big bucket. I then had about 18 litres of stuff, but no pot for it all. Actually my pressure canner would have been about the right size but you should not cook tomatoes in an aluminum vessel. And my other pots go 5L, 11L, then jump right up to 45L, 58L and 85L which of course are way too big for this job! (Note to self : need a decent 20L pot)

In the end I used a 3L, 5L and the 11L and it worked out better that way because you are supposed to boil it down to about half it's volume, and using 3 pots gave me a bigger surface area to volume ratio, which meant it boiled down in about 2 hours and 45 minutes instead of the 6 hours listed in the recipe

The sauce is awesome! Next time we'll do a second batch and replace the green pepper with roasted red pepper, for a bit of a variation.

40 lbs of tomatoes made just a few tablespoons shy of 10 litres of sauce.

2007 Oct 30
it depends on what type of tomatoes you are talking about.

for roma, grape, cherry, or any time of smaller tomato this is what i do:

i put my green tomatoes into a paper bag until they ripen. i go through the bag fairly often to pick out the good ones.

when i have lots i either bbq them (doesn't take long), or roast them in the oven (takes 2 hours on really low). i usually add roasted garlic too. then i let them cool, put into freezer bags and freeze in small portions. i use these throughout the winter for pasta, pizza sauce, risotto, anything really.

i hate sugar in tomato sauce, so the roasting or bbq brings out the natural sweetness in the tomatoes. i love my tomatoes really chunky with garlic and basil, so i don't use a food mill or anything to create a thin sauce.

2007 Oct 30
Tomato Suggestions:

Tomato Pie
allrecipes.com

Savory Tomato Bread Pudding allrecipes.com

Squash with Tomato and Feta
allrecipes.com

Tomato and Basil Quiche
allrecipes.com

Tomato Basil Towers
allrecipes.com

There's also fresh salsa, bruscetta, and gazpatcho. Or you could stew them, can them, and use them though the winter in place of canned tomatoes.

I'm totally hopeless on bread :(

2007 Oct 30
Bruscetta!!!

2007 Nov 2
tiana shoot me an email brucethechef@shaw.ca and I will send you my walnut prune bread we used to use at UE for your tomatoes think about caponata you can can it and it's really versatile makes a great pasta sauce or an easy sauce for lots of other sruff

2007 Nov 2
Tomatoes stuffed with herbed grains (quinoa and pine nuts)

Or how about Tomato Soup?

2007 Nov 3
I think I may not have been clear about the fact that these are primarily green tomatoes so I think many of these recipes may not work for them?

2007 Nov 3
That's funny, I totally missed the fact that you had said that the tomatoes hadn't turned yet as well!
I have a recipe somewhere (that's not very helpful is it?) for a green tomato curry, that was basically garlic, onions and green tomatoes, and garam masala that you could cook up and freeze. (There may have been apples in it too) Then it was easy to just use it as a base for a quick curry with vegetables and lentils or chickpeas. I thought it was an old Moosewood recipe, but it wasn't. I'll keep looking!

2007 Nov 3
they will ripen and turn red, you just need to care for them. it takes a little longer in the cooler weather, but they will turn.

2007 Nov 3
Whoops! I guess we ALL kinda mis-read this one eh? lol. Here's the fruit of my search - hope it helps:

Green Tomato Pasta Toss
allrecipes.com

Green Tomato Lasagna
allrecipes.com

Red and Green Tomato and Corn Soup
allrecipes.com

Chilled Curried Green Tomato Soup
www.fabulousfoods.com

Green Tomtoes with Goat Chese
www.fabulousfoods.com

Green Tomato Pie
www.fabulousfoods.com

GREEN TOMATO BREAD

3 eggs
1 C. oil
2 C. sugar
2 C. Green Tomato Puree (small amount of water if needed)
1 T Vanilla
3 C. Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 C. chopped walnuts (optional)
1 C. raisins (optional)

Mix eggs, oil, and sugar. Add green tomato puree and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together and add to other ingredients. Add nuts and /or raisins if desired. Grease and Flour two 9x5 loaf pans. Divide batter evenly and pour into pans. Bake at 350° for 45-60 minutes.

2007 Nov 4
I understood it was green, but I was out because of the stipulation of "no pickles". With a different (east indian) spicing, my chow-chow pickle recipe would make a pretty awesome chutney and it cans up well! But then there was "no chutney" stipulated :-<