Smoothie Powders [General]

2014 Jun 11
My daughter has been making green smoothies with Vega Protein Smoothie powder (plus spinach, coconut water, frozen mango, and chia seeds).

The Vega is $21 for 250g. Is there a DIY recipe for the vega or a cheaper substitute ?

2014 Jun 11
Francis I use Sisu whey protein powder. I get the 1 kg size and pay $40 for it. I haven't tried making a DIY version yet but this recipe on the Steven and Chris website looks interesting: www.cbc.ca

If your daughter is looking for protein to add to her smoothies would she consider just adding nuts to what she is already using? I usually soak mine in water overnight since it apparently aids with digestion.

2014 Jun 11
Try Hemp Protein - high in omegas as well.

Whey is gross

2014 Jun 11
@PastaLover, where do you source the Sisu ? Thanks for the cbc article. I guess my daughter wants the powder both for taste and protein. She's vegetarian now (this is my younger daughter who used to be a "white meat vegetarian" = vegetarian + some chicken, but who decided to become just vegetarian and skip the chicken).

I think the chia seeds are a complete protein. I get those at Costco. I'm not too concerned about her protein. She eats tofu and drinks almond milk. And we have beans and nuts in our diet. So I guess something mainly duplicating the taste of Vega.

@FoodMonger, I don't know too much about whey, other than it's from milk, it's not caesin, and little miss muffet was eating it with curds with a spider frightened her away . . .

Found this article on flax vs. hemp vs. chia:

www.quickanddirtytips.com

2014 Jun 11
Francis I usually buy the Sisu powder at the White Cross Dispensary on Elgin. (It's near McLaren or Gilmor or Lewis - somewhere around there-;) It's still a little cheaper than what they charge at Shoppers at Bank and Laurier and Market Organics. I have only checked the centretown stores since I haven't gotten around to visiting Kardish/Rainbow Foods/etc. yet. I like the chocolate flavour. I have never tried Vega so I can't compare but I've tried also tried the Greens+ whey protein powder and it tastes similar to the Sisu stuff but much more expensive. I'm not sure how much they differ nutritionally.

Yes apparently chia seeds are a complete protein and I also buy them at Costco since I sprinkle some on most of my meals. Apparently hemp seeds are supposed to be full of nutrients as well.

2014 Jun 11
Costco has a whey based powder - don't know the price. Whey powders are generally the best/most efficient for getting protein into you, depending on how much filler is in the powder. Soy based products may have some issues. I'm guessing vegans will not eat/use whey based proteins. What are your criteria, taste, protein absorption, something else? You may want to try talking to the folks at Popeye's or another supplement store to see what the options are.

2014 Jun 11
They have a lot of whey powders at Costco and Walmart.

I did pick up some Manitoba Hemp Hearts at Costco just now.

My daughter eats eggs and cheese occasionally, so she might accept whey.

I think the bad part of milk is the other protein, caesin (because of BCM-7), and whey doesn't have any of that. So I'm not adverse to whey either.

Strict vegans won't have it though, because of it's animal origin.

-------------------

The hemp hearts have a story on the package about how the owner of the business weighed 300lbs and was going downhill, but eating hemp restored his energy and saved him. I wonder if it's true or just marketing? That's what I get for reading the packaging :-) It kind of rubs me the wrong way because it's almost a "come to jezus story" and (b) it implies if you are 300 lbs hemp hearts will save you. It's not that simple, and it's misleading. Hemp is a good vegan source of essential amino acids, that's all. It's not salvation.

2014 Jun 12
Found flax seeds at Super C, 454 g (1 lb) for 99 cents.