Working with lecithin [General]

2014 Jun 10
I know lecithin is a great emulsifier and can be used instead of egg yolks.

I have gotten lecithin granules (from Bulk Barn LOL) to dissolve in water or soy milk with an immersion blender, but the liquid stuff (also sold at Bulk Barn) is so sticky I've had to throw out the spoon and bowl.

Yet Bulk Barn sells it. Does anyone know how to make use of it?

Tips for either the liquid or granule form appreciated.

2014 Jun 10
I use liquid lecithin frequently but have only one use for it - brushing on bakeware to prevent sticking. I mix it about half and half with canola oil in a small glass sealer; when needed it must be mixed well and I use a fork for that, then brush (using a natural bristle brush) it on tins, pans, whatever, that I usually warm up for a short time on a burner or in the oven to make it easier to spread as thin a layer as I can, making it nonstick and easier to clean. I first started using it with greatgreatgrandma's old tinned bread pans which were almost impossible to use for bread making with all other means I had tried (because of corrosion) - now they work like new!
I don't know of any other uses for the lecithin.

2014 Jun 11
i know it's used as a stabilizer for foams and an emulsifying agent.

www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com

vegan mayo recipe goes into details about lecithin too

www.seriouseats.com

2014 Jun 11
I saw that page on modernist cooking ! Excluding whipping egg whites, or meringues, I've never made foam to eat. Foam doesn't look filling or appetizing to me.

I've been able to dissolve the granular lecithin (it's not easy and a blender helpS) to make an emulsifier but from what Andy says, it may be easier to dissolve it in oil first, then add the water based part.

Making vegan mayo comes to mind. Also egg yolks have a lot of cholesterol in them, and some people are on cholesterol restricted diets for health reasons.

The liquid lecithin is so sticky it's evil. Perhaps also useful for playing a foodie practical joke on someone. But I'll have to try dissolving it in oil when I get a chance. Maybe makeing homemade glue traps for mice :-)

Speaking of which (pests) I was getting a Vietnamese sub last friday and the woman pointed to a clear plastic bag full of water she had hung up at the open front door. She said her daughter came back from a trip to Vietnam and said people did that to keep flies out. And it works. Not one fly came into the sub shop, even thought there was a fish monger next door. She said she came from South Vietnam and didn't know about that trick, but apparently people in North Vietnam knew about it. Interesting trick and chemical free. Wonder why it works?