Eating - Hingtonburg/Westboro [General]

2014 Jun 5
I've been asked to post this. Friend is looking for a recommendation of where to eat within walking distance of Richmond Road and Kirkwood.

I think Elgin Street is too far. Other criteria is that it has to be reasonably priced. i.e., entrees in the $15 range or not over $20.

One person is hip over 70 and the person paying is approx. 30 year old student.

Ideas:
- My House Cafe
- Elmdale Tavern & Oyster House
- Tennessey Willems
- Siam Bistro
- Agave ? (not sure how I feel about this place)
- Cafe Mio
- Lapointe's/Westboro Fish House
- Milagros (I like this place though not sure about foodies)
- Churchill's ?
- Clocktower ?

Other ideas?

Too pricey:
- Backlane Cafe
- Gezzellig

2014 Jun 5
I'm not sure I would say that
My House Cafe
- Elmdale Tavern & Oyster House
- Tennessey Willems
- Siam Bistro

Are within walking distance for a 70 yr old. Not knowing their activity level, they may be able to walk there but they would still need to walk back.

Is this for dinner or lunch?

If for lunch or Brunch Gezllig has 2 plates for 20.00/person.

2014 Jun 5
I would recommend Juniper. Food is consistently excellent and it has a very nice atmosphere.

2014 Jun 5
Savoy and Juniper might be a touch too expensive based in your criteria.
The Newport maybe? I don't particularly like it but many do...

2014 Jun 5
I agree with others Hintonburg might be a bit of a hike for a 70 year old depending on their activity level How far east are you willing to walk? Holland? Parkdale? Further east?

My suggestions for places closer to Richmond/Churchill would be The Works or Swiss Pastries if you will be in the area at lunch time.

2014 Jun 5
It's for dinner and the 70 year old (my mother) is in great shape so hintonburgh is definately not too far. We like to walk in my family! Yes, she does want to go to Juniper but not on this occasion. She likes the Village Cafe but she wants to try new places in her new hood ...

2014 Jun 5
Stand on any corner in that neighbourood, and throw a rock, ( a small one) you'll hit something. . . . . .

2014 Jun 5
I have had several very nice meals at Caffe Mio. Definitely recommended.

2014 Jun 5
flexie I am now working in the neighbourhood and am still familiarizing myself with the restos here. So far I've only eaten out here at lunch time but could recommend Pho Van Van and the Foolish Chicken. You'd have to check the menus online but they "might" come within your price range or a little over. You could also check out the cheap eats thread - I've seen a recommendation or three in the neighbourhood so maybe that could help?

2014 Jun 5
Thanks all - Hungry Pete has a point ... I know the area well was just consulting others for their opinions. You know what they say as 3 people for an opinion or solution and you get 4 answers. Happy to hear Scrabbies recommending Caffe Mio, I haven't been their in quite a while but their food has always been good and I like the atmosphere.

2014 Jun 5
supply and demand is amazing....just over 20 though for pastas/mains

ahar indian on churchill/carling is really good

naked fish sushi...can get pricey though

baker street cafe for brunch

2014 Jun 6
Also along the strip or just off

Petit Bills
Sushi Umi
Flying Banzini
Anthony's Pizza * Roman style pizza
Burnt Butter * not my fav, but I know other people who really like it
Absinthe
Allium * tapas on Mondays
A thing for Chocolate * Crepes and such. I'm going on Monday for lunch so I will report back

On Holland
Anna Thai
Allium
Les Grillades
Red Sea Cafe
Canvas * Their brunch is pretty good

I would not reccomend the Asian place on Holland next to Anna Thai

There is a small outdoor cafe that sells Gelato at the corner of Wellington and Hamiltion. If It's across from the Pizza Pizza

2014 Jun 6
- Fratelli's for average priced Italian, great atmosphere and decent wine selection
- Donna's/Newport: plain décor but great pizzas and salads
- Lapointe seafood is within the same block as Fratelli but I have not tried it myself
- The Works
- Clocktower is great for groups but might be a bit far for a 70yo with hip issues.
- I find Churchill's pub a bit expensive
- The food is so so at the Corner Grill
- I like Milagro
- Gezellig is good but expensive
- Same for the Savoy

Hope this helps!

2014 Jun 6
Thanks so much for all this! I'll refer back to later ...

She ended up going to Caffe Mio and said it was "packed. Food was delicious." She had the "special gnocci with beef ,mushrooms and spinach in a creamy gorgonzola sauce." Other person had the "baked pasta dish which was also good."

We're not big on words and descriptions but "good" does not mean simply good more like *very* good!

On another note ... I just stopped into El Negozio Nicastro on Wellington Street for a Sandwich. I'm having the house roast beef with sundried tomato pesto and pickled eggplant. Couldn't resist as you could smell the yummy garlic from a block away. Apparently the cheese mister was roasting cheeses as well baking several other things. I wanted to get some cheese but he was busy with another customer and I only had so much time. Nice little spot with a few tables for daytime sandwiches, coffee or beer/wine. Not sure why I haven't been in for so long ... now for my sandwich ... have a great weekend everyone!