Beets [General]

2007 Oct 27
I bought 10 lbs of beets a while back and I don't know what to do with the rest of them. I've already boiled and cut up a lot of them but now what next?

I've seen stews but I don't know how to make them or what to add for flavour.
I'm also planning to make some salad but that'll be just a one-serving thing and it won't use up too many of them.

Any other suggestions?

Remember, I've already cooked and peeled them.

2007 Oct 27
You could can them.

From Kerr canning book, p 76

6-7 lb beets with tops
water
4 cups cider vinegar (5% acidity)
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1.5 tsp pickling salt
2 x 2 inch cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp whole cloves
1 medium onion, sliced

2007 Oct 27
The beet salad I found here agrrlswrrld.wordpress.com is really awesome.

2007 Oct 27
Borcht!!! :)

2007 Oct 28
BTW, I actually did make the recipe I posted above and it's really good

2007 Oct 28
I'm a huge fan of pickled beets. They were my favourite food as a toddler. Thus, I have to agree that pickled beets are the way to go.

I guess that since it's pickled you can just do it in a water bath, right?

2007 Oct 28
I pressure-canned them just because I can, but I'll check the original recipe to see what they say

2007 Oct 29
MMMMMmmmmmm BEETS!! Beets are my bf and I's new favourite....

I usually just roast them in the oven with some butter and salt and pepper. Since you've already cooked them, you won't have to roast them for very long...10-15 min max. If you like them sweet, drizzling some maple syrup or honey on them and then roasting them in the oven is DELISH! I personally find them sweet enough on their own but indulging never hurts.

2007 Oct 30
How about Red Flannel Hash? It's basically a corned beef hash with cubes of beets added - delish with a fried egg on top!

2007 Oct 30
Someone mentioned borcht which is great but if you would like to know a really easy soup. Take the beets you already have boiled, peeled & cut and place them into a pot & cover in apple juice. (make sure it is not an aluminum pot as it will end up tasting 'tinny') Bring to a simmer for a few minutes just to heat the beets through, makes it is easier to blend smooth. Blend them in a blender & season. Freezes well and is great hot or cold. Garnish with some fresh cubed apple and your set. Any fresh herb can be added aswell but mint or thyme are my fav's as a garnish.

Another simple great salad is beets with fresh apple or pear, crumbled blue cheese & toasted walnuts or hazelnuts. Dress the beets in a little balsamic & olive oil & mix the rest in. Yum!

2007 Oct 31
You can definitely use a hot-water bath for pickled beets - I have been doing this for years.

2007 Oct 31
Today's Chronicle Herald Online (Halifax)

Read it formatted here (will disappear in a few weeks) :
www.thechronicleherald.ca