grilled cheese [General]

2014 May 10
Is there a grilled cheese sandwich shop in town yet?
If not, why not?
If so, why?

Yeah, I know that Melt Gourmet Grilled Cheese opened and closed quickly last year.

Actually, I'd been thinking this would be a great idea for a tiny lunch counter somewhere near Tunney's Pasture. They're shrinking the work staff there and everyone seems overly concerned about money. Making a decent grilled cheese sandwich for the working stiff would be a great job. I mean, who doesn't like a good grilled cheese sandwich? It's hearty. It's warm. It reminds you of simpler times. It's got cheese. If only a spot opened up where you (or I) could do something like this for the lunch crowd ...

2014 May 10
There's the Grilled Cheeserie food truck. They are set up right now at Tulip Fest (Dow's Lake). They had a concession at Bluesfest last year as well. Not sure if they have a regular spot. Delicious too!

2014 May 10
I keep thinking I should open a restaurant, but who wants to eat at Really Horrible Food?

2014 May 10
Reminds me of wanting to open The Fresh Fish Market restaurant next to The Old Fish Market restaurant.

Anyway, Really Horrible Food might have an ironic hipster appeal. Nothing beats overpriced cocktails drunk from Really Horrible mason jars. :D

2014 May 14
I would sure as shit eat a Really Horrible Grilled Cheese sandwich. With poutine for a side.

2014 May 14
Call it 'Stale bread and stinky cheese'.

There's absolutely a market for this. Almost every a major US city i've been to in the last five years or so has had a variation of lunch counter type place or two, plus a few food trucks doing glorious things.

There's a place in Kingston ONT called MLTDWN that does good grilled cheeses.

2014 May 14
"Call it 'Stale bread and stinky cheese'."

...and made with Limburger cheese on dark rye. That cheese stinks to high heaven but tastes oh-so-good in a grilled cheese. Serve with pickles and coleslaw and wash down with a nice cold beer and you're good to go.

2014 May 14
Wouldn't eating at a place called "Really Horrible Food" appeal to the same people that go out of their way to eat at a restaurant that has "Mom's" in the name? Could be a raging success!

2014 May 15
There's a place in Pakenham that has a roadside sign stating "bad food, warm beer, come on in!"

I've never gone in, but it gave me a chuckle the first time I saw it.

copperkettlerestaurant.com