Food Allergies [General]

2014 Apr 27
I thought this was interesting, but have no issues with gluten, What about others?
www.tickld.com

2014 Apr 27
It is a very pretentious aritcle. Living with someone who does have a gluten alergy (Celiac, diagnosed with a biopsy), I do know many who have no diagnosis and say they have a gluten issue. Maybe, maybe not. That it has become a diet fad is very true. However, we go to Italian restaurants and order gluten free pasta, ask about all other ingerdients, and trust the kitchen to not cross contaminate. Did you know that Italy has one of the highest percentages of Celiac in the world and are one of the few countries that tests for it at birth? (although it does not always show up until later in life). Reactions to cross contamination vary, so for one member of my family they know right away, others do not, as their symptoms are mild. Like any allergy the reactions can change at any time, and vary greatly. I think we should treat everyone with humility and grace, and avoid being overly judgemental.

2014 Apr 27
OK, your comment sourdough made me go read it. Honestly I agree with the article and know a lot of people on the gluten fad. And sadly, these people make life very difficult for the folks who have a genuine gluten allergy. You know, because of "never cry wolf". When 10 people cry wolf because they want attention, it becomes too easy to ignore the 11th one who has a real issue. Sad, but true.

Even my doctor told me there are a whole lot of people out there claiming sensitivity to gluten when there is no way they are. The numbers just don't add up. Her estimate was 10:1

2014 Apr 28
More action over here Forum - Kettleman's anti-GF rant