Stone bowls? [General]

2014 Apr 5
I've been keeping an eye out of stone bowls, the kind you would have with bibimbap, for about a year now. Every Asian and kitchenware store I've been into does not sell them. I've been really hesitant on buying them online because...we are talking about literal pieces of rock. That's a lotta shipping.

Has anyone seen these around town?

2014 Apr 5
How big do you need?

We've got a fairly big soap stone pestle and mortar that would do the trick in a pinch. It is bigger than some of the bowls we have.

Pretty sure we bought it in Chinatown somewhere

2014 Apr 5
Collision - did you try the new Asian kitchen ware store on Merivale where Nicastro's is? I don't know if they have them but they have quite a collection of stuff.

2014 Apr 6
I doubt that your mortar and pestle is soapstone. That'd be WAY too soft for that purpose. It's more than likely a black granite or something with a rough grind finish.

Yeah, the only place you could probably find stone bowls would be a Korean grocery. I don't know where there are any around here. Sorry.

2014 Apr 6
Arum, the Korean grocery/restaurant on Bank near Catherine used to carry them, but I haven't been in for a couple of years.

2014 Apr 6
Thanks everyone. We have a few huge mortar and pestles but I don't really wanna wash 40 pounds of granite...yaknow? I feel like it would punch through my 1983 era sink.

I haven't checked the place on Merivale though. I completely forgot about it to be honest. I'll also check out Arum. Thanks!

2014 Apr 7
I know i've seen then in Chinatown but damned if i can remember which store...

Consider asking the staff next time you're at a Korean restau.