What are you drinking? (continued) [Booze]

2014 Mar 25
I picked up a bottle of Flor de Cana Estate Bottled 18 yr old rum coming back from Mexico. OMG.

Unbelievably rich and mellow, huge notes of chocolate, long dark caramel finish, sexy and smoky as Kathleen Turner in "Body Heat". This not a rum for drinking, this is a rum to look at and contemplate. It is like a giant Band-Aid on all the past wrongs done in the world.

Now to figure out how to make it last until next year...

2014 Mar 27
"It is like a giant Band-Aid on all the past wrongs done in the world." Check the ice - you. I like you. Haha.

So, I've been nipping into some Elmer T. Lee Single barrel - easily one of the better bourbons I've ever had.

I've also been sipping on some High West Rendezvous Rye. I have a thing for American Rye and this one is a beaut. Very spicy with vanilla, charcoal, and cinnamon flavours. It has a real viscous feel to it too. Outstanding.

2014 Mar 27
I've been sipping some craft gin I got in the states, and some Ungava too.

2014 Mar 28
Hey James C., which gin is that? Aviation? Leopold's? How is the Ungava? It's got cloudberries in it! Whatever those are. Regardless of obscure botanicals, I've heard good things.

2014 May 7
"Ungava gin. You can almost taste a difference!"

It isn't that different from most of the other gins I've tried and liked. It is a bit sweeter, I think. Still, it's gin.

2014 May 8
Just said goodbye to a litre of Jameson's 12 year old that the missus brought back from Ireland.

2014 May 9
TPD: Sorry for not responding earlier. It was some Gin form the Last Vegas Distillery. Good stuff. As for Ungava, I'm a fan of it. I do find a little sweeter like Rizak said, and I enjoy it.

2014 May 14
No worries, James C.. Sweet, eh? Like Old Tom gin sweet? The Ungava might make a mean Martinez or Tom Collins in that case.

I'm on a bit of a tequila/mezcal kick at the moment. I snagged a bottle of Chamucos tequila reposado a couple weeks ago (based almost entirely on packaging) and, luckily, it's great. I'll post a photo of the box shortly to show you what I mean.

2014 May 14
On the topic of Tequila - "El Jimador" is a decent one that can be found in most LCBO's for less $$ than Jose Cuervo

Jimador is 100% Agave, so its the real stuff and pretty tasty! where as Cuervo isnt' 100% agave, but the name demands a higher price tag.

Pick up El Jimador and a frozen Minute Maid Limeaid, Add a few strawberries in blender with ice and enjoy.

2014 May 26
Yeah, FoodMonger, the cheap Jose Cuervo Especial is garbage. But the Jose Cuervo Tradicional is pretty decent and 100% agave ($35, I think).

I also think the Cazadores Anejo is a pretty good bargain too - that one is just over $40 (whereas, the Dulce Vida Anejo is $95 and the Don Julio 1942 Anejo is $140). Fine sippin' for the money.

Frozen Minute Maid Limeaid, eh? Seems like the non-100% agave, artificial ingredient Jose Cuervo would be a better match to the high fructose corn syrup (23 grams per 1.5 fl.oz. - dear lord)

2014 May 27
Ohmygod!
Ungava gin and Limonata.

A slice of lime for an extra dimension and a hit of Sriracha.

GENIUS!

Okay, I'm using 3 fingers of gin and a whole can of Limonata. Your recipe may vary. Also, your level of awesome.

2014 May 28
Sounds like a reasonable facsimile of a Tom Collins, Rizak! With a little heat for good measure. Yum.

I've been making this:

* 0.75 oz. tequila blanco
* 0.75 oz. lime juice
* 0.75 oz. Campari
* 0.5 oz. simple syrup

Shake and strain over ice into a rocks glass and top with 1 oz. of IPA. Stir a bit to incorporate. It's awesome.

2014 May 28
TPD - Jimador is still even better than the Cuervo Traditional in my opinion. And it is still a better fit than the fake stuff for margaritas, since its cheaper...

I ususally enjoy it in a glass, neat. But I do admit that I also like to stretch it out in a sweet/tart margie on a nice sunny day!

I've had the Cazadores, but not the anejo - that'll be on my list the next time I'm shopping.

Tequila talk aside....

It's Mojito Season! Get out yer muddlers!

2014 May 28
FoodMonger, El Jimador will be my next tequila blanco purchase (well, maybe after a bottle of Espolon).

Jesus, I could use a mojito right now. A Work Mojito. Brilliant! What do you favour for a white rum? Too bad the LCBO doesn't carry the 3 yo El Dorado or the 4 yo Flor de Cana. I usually use Bacardi 8 or Mount Gay Eclipse.

I should plant some mint.

2014 May 28
I prefer the gold over the blanco to be honest.

Have been using Havana Club White lately, but mostly because of how quickly those Mojos go down! I may have to step up my rum game and venture away from the whites...

I'm starting my mint plantation, but in the meantime I find that Produce Depot has nice full bunches for $1. Bonus that they're not packaged in plastic!

I'm going to try up some mint simple syrup to hopefully ease the mixing process while camping ;)

2014 May 28
You want mint? Give me a call.

2014 May 29
For tequila-look for the word reposado on the label. El Jimador and Cazadores are both good for the $$$$.

2014 May 29
For Tequila Reposado, I make my own. I take a good bottle of 100% agave and give it the barrel aging treatment my own damn self. Save all those $$$ for limes.

2014 Nov 3
I came up with an original cocktail last night:

2 oz. Lot No. 40 Canadian Rye; 0.75 oz. Hall's Apple Cider; 1 tsp 66 Gilead Pine Vodka; 1 tsp Maple Syrup; 1 dash Really Horrible Bitters Can-gostura (care of Rizak); 1 squirt Urban Moonshine Maple Bitters. Stir over ice and strain into chilled coupe.

Not bad. Might add a few drops of cinnamon "tincture" into the mix.

2014 Nov 4
Maple syrup and apple juice go so well together. Hey, I've got most of those ingredients already. I may have to give it a try.

What's it called?

2014 Nov 4
Hey Rizak,

I call it "Laurentian View". I've been toying around with 66 Gilead's Pine Vodka the past few days. Last night I made another original I call the "Alpine Jewel":

0.5 oz. Beefeater 24 gin; 0.5 oz. 66 Gilead Pine Vodka; 1 oz. Carpano Antica vermouth; 0.5 oz. Montenegro amaro; 0.5 oz. Green Chartreuse. Stir over ice and strain into a chilled coupe. No garnish.

Surprisingly delicious.

2014 Nov 8
One of my good buddies picked me up a bottle of Trappist Westvleteren 12. It's hard to get your hands on this stuff! I'll be sipping it shortly before a night of NHL and UFC.

www.ratebeer.com

2014 Nov 8
Nice Bobby Fillet, we have the same night planned.
I've got some Lamb's, Pom and orange for that though.

2014 Nov 8
Oh. Pom.
I read that wrong.

2014 Dec 17
Just a quick note to say that Broadhead's Grindstone Amber is available in king cans at Ottawa and Southwestern Ontario LCBO stores starting today! Congrats to the hard working guys at Broadhead!

2014 Dec 20
I tried a delicious cocktail at a Christmas party. They called it a Peppermint Chocolatini. It was vodka, clear creme de cacao and peppermint schnapps. Like a decadent adult version of a chocolate mint pattie.