Best cannoli in ottawa? [General]

2014 Mar 24
Looking to purchase a large quantity of cannoli for a party. Just wondering where people like the best?

2014 Mar 24
I've had cannoli from Misto's food emporium, la bottega, and DiRienzo's. I believe they are all from the same bakery. They've all be identical to me, but also super delicious.

2014 Mar 24
I had one from DiRienzo Foods some time ago. I quite enjoyed it.

Knowing DiRenzio's, you could probably order ahead and get a volume discount.

2014 Mar 24
There was a discussion on OF awhile ago about where to get Italian pastries. It wasn't limited to cannoli but I imaging alot of the places recommended would carry it. If you are looking for more ideas you can check the Italian pastry topic: ottawafoodies.com

And hopefully people will continue to surf in with more great suggestions!

2014 Mar 24
I know that Lino @ Cafe Lino turns out some great croissants, and I have seen some Cannoli there as well.

He's italian, so he knows his cannoli.

He does stuff for catering and is a super nice guy! Its not on his website, but I'm sure you could call him and ask what he could work for ya

2014 Mar 24
Also, punching 'cannoli' into the search bar turns up the food entry: Cannoli

2014 Mar 24
Seconding Dirienzo's on Beech. They bring them in from Mtl, they're awesome, and they will do a tray order in advance.

2014 Mar 24
Been getting them at Frank's fine foods at the corner of greenbank and hunt club. It's right across the street from the metro. Great fresh made bakery cannoli and sweets and get one of their massive sandwiches on fresh bread while you're there. My new goto lunch spot.

2014 Mar 25
Franksfoods.ca

2014 Mar 25
Simply Biscotti makes great cannoli. If you order in advance they will also make mini ones (a well as for other pastries) which are great one or two-bite sized for parties.

2014 Mar 27
Thanks everyone! This should help me narrow my search. I think I might have some testing and comparison to do!

2014 Mar 27
Kitchenhog - you'll run into two versions of cannoli - those which are pre-made and pre-filled (either on premises or trucked in from elsewhere) and those which are empty shells and then filled on the spot. I like both, but they are different.

Simply Biscotti and Pasticceria Gelateria on Preston both fill the cannoli shell when ordered. This leaves the pastry part crunchy.

I find the other type - sold at Direnzo's, etc, which have been pre-filled, makes the pastry softer.

2014 Mar 27
A couple years ago I did a side-by-side test between Simply Biscotti and Pasticceria Gelateria. I found the SB shells were more tender and to my liking, whereas the PGI filling was vastly superior. Some others in my group preferred the crunchier PGI shells. Everyone agreed on the filling though. Disclaimer: Things might be different now. :)

2014 Mar 27
I think I might have to do multiple taste tests! And in order to ensure consistency, I will have to test often. PG says they only need 24 hours notice to make 8 dozen! I'll probably go this route. There will be a lot of Italians at the event, so they need to be good.