Medium-Ground Cornmeal [Food/Vendor]

2014 Mar 21
Where can I buy Medium Ground Cornmeal in Ottawa? (stone ground would be nice but not absolutely necessary). The stuff in the supermarkets look like its fine ground. I want to try making my own polenta at home!

2014 Mar 21
I had good results with some I found at Bulk Barn. If you have access to Cooks Illustrated, try out their recipe for polenta with rapini, sun-dried tomato, and pine nuts (or just play with those ingredients by frying them up with some garlic and hot pepper flakes and a bit of broth.) Yum!

2014 Mar 21
mountain path has stone ground.

al jazeerah has different coarses i think.

check herb and spice and maybe market organics.

you can make polenta with fine ground, i've done it before.

2014 Mar 22
Go to any health food store that is of a decent size and get Bob's Red Mill stuff. They've got it in different grinds and probably stone ground.

2014 Mar 22
one of the cheapest places to get a coarser cornmeal is at local Middle-Eastern stores like Sultan (Bank at Hunt Club) or Mid-East Food Center (St Laurent at Belfast), where I've bought Yellow Cornmeal #120 (maybe a bit bigger than most stone ground) to a very coarse corn grits, more like cracked corn, great for giving texture to yer grits but likely way large for a refined polenta. They do have smaller sizes there as well, like #240.

2014 Mar 22
www.bobsredmill.com

Youncan get this at Farm Boy.

2014 Mar 23
I use the Bob's Red Mill medium for cornbread--excellent taste and texture with some nice crunch to it. They also make an excellent coarse-ground one, which is my go-to polenta.

2014 Mar 23
Thanks this is great, you guys! I will check out Farmboy and the Mid-East Food Center.