Kid friendly restaurant with decent food [General]

2014 Feb 20
I have friends coming up this weekend from Toronto and they want to go out for dinner Saturday night; they have a 15 month old whom I haven't seen since the summer so I'm not sure how well-behaved she is. I can't think of a place that has decent food, enough room for a stroller, and where we won't potentially ruin the night of the couple at the next table who paid for a babysitter so they could have an adult evening out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2014 Feb 20
you don't mention location or preferred genre, so i'll toss in Korean Palace as a candidate. Not declaring KP the best in town (mixed reviews on this site), but i find the food decent and relatively lo-cost. And, to your concerns, its close to downtown with parking out back and the dining area is big with lots of stroller room. I've dined there in groups w/ toddlers in tow and can say staffers are v. tolerant, likewise the other diners in my experience.

2014 Feb 20
I suggest leaving the stroller at home - that more than anything will annoy other patrons. There is no need for it. Bring one of those portable high chairs that you can fasten on to another chair. Or call ahead to see whether they have a high chair.

2014 Feb 20
What type of restaurant are you looking for?

2014 Feb 20
We're open to anything, but I figured since they live in Toronto maybe not anything Asian because it's cheaper there and at least as good as here. They said they would prefer to bring the stroller in case she gets tired, though it's not mandatory. I don't have kids so I never have to think about these things!

2014 Feb 20
Well if taking a child you should book the meal according to the child's needs. If you usually book dinner for 6pm or 7pm then in my opinion that's setting yourself and the child up for failure you know the child is likely to be sleeping by the end of your meal. Book for 5pm. Don't like an early dinner? Suck it up, that's life with kids.

You can keep the stroller in the car in case of emergency if you really want to, but a child that age can easily sleep in a high chair. Lots of parents have the same picture we have of kids who have fallen asleep while eating.

A 15 month old is also not difficult to just cradle in your arms if it falls asleep. My wife and I have eaten more than a few meals with a sleeping child in our lap.

What part of town will you be in? Might help locate a suitable place.

2014 Feb 20
The Flying Banzini might be a good choice. I'm equally comfortable there with my kid(s) or dining out in the evening with friends. It has a pretty inclusive vibe. The ordering isn't at the table, though, if that is a concern.

2014 Feb 20
I was thinking of Flying Banzini as well.

2014 Feb 20
Thank you, I'll suggest the Flying Banzini to them.

2014 Feb 21
My kid was that age not that long ago. I'd give them a few tips...
- Ottawa restaurants tend to be small, so people generally do not bring in strollers.
- Kids are welcome most places, but we'd always go during the earlier dinner hour before our kid hit the red zone of tiredness.

Flying Banzini is a good choice. The food is ok, but are sandwiches what you want to eat while out?

Hintonburg Public House has a kids menu and is very family friendly. But go early.

I'd say everywhere is kid friendly, just call the restaurant and ask if they have a preference.

There is a kid's menu tag. You could check this list out:
ottawafoodies.com/tag/91

2014 Feb 21
Thank you so much for all the tips and suggestions! I had seen the kid's menu tag, but my friends didn't care about having a kid's menu, they seemed more concerned about the stroller. But hurrah, I finally convinced them to leave the stroller in the car, so we have reservations at Town for 5:00. Like zymurgist said, better for the kid (and the other people in the room, probably) plus that was the only time we could get at short notice :) I am just thankful we are not eating at Montana's.

2014 Feb 21
TOWN is all good, but just food for thought, consider CEYLONTA.

Great Sri Lankan food, cheap for the mount you get, family friendly and they have nothing like it in TO, believe me, i've looked.

...heehee, food for thought... see what i did there?....

2014 Feb 21
OMFG CEYLONTA!

Yes, our kids have ripped through that place at various ages. They are extremely welcoming and tolerant of young kids and their tomfoolery. And our oldest when he was 15 months used to love the curried spinach, and they used to bring him out more-and-more as much as he could eat - for free!

It is a great suggestion!

2014 Feb 21
There is one on Somerset and one on Carling Avenue in Britannia. Not sure if the menues are the same.